How does a nanogenerator work in quantum field theory?

In summary: Are you saying that in quantum field theory, an electron cannot move from one atom to... another atom?No.
Philipsmett
I studied the work of a nano generator in quantu mechanics. The generator uses the principle of triboelectrics. How does this work in quantum field theory?
I think that the electron (wave packet in the field) is in the atom in a small volume because the nucleus inhibits the propagation of the packet. When the contact of two materials occurs, the electron wave packet moves from one atom to another in a localized form under the action of an electromagnetic field, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electron is wave packet in field. Can it move from one atom to another?

Yes.

Philipsmett said:
Electron is wave packet in field. Can it move from one atom to another?

This question is puzzling, and odd.

Whether an electron can move from "... one atom to another.. " has nothing to do with "... electron is a wave packet... " or QFT. It has everything to do with whether the electron is in a bound, localized state or not!

Zz.

Zz. [/ QUOTE]
ZapperZ said:
This question is puzzling, and odd.

Whether an electron can move from "... one atom to another.. " has nothing to do with "... electron is a wave packet... " or QFT. It has everything to do with whether the electron is in a bound, localized state or not!

Zz.
in quantum field theory, can electrons move from one atom to another atom?

Philipsmett said:
Zz. [/ QUOTE]

in quantum field theory, can electrons move from one atom to another atom?

nikkkom has answered you. Besides, you seem to have not understood my first reply to you, so why should I bother?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
nikkkom has answered you. Besides, you seem to have not understood my first reply to you, so why should I bother?

Zz.
excuse me, does the electron go from atom to atom like a wave packet?

Philipsmett said:
excuse me, does the electron go from atom to atom like a wave packet?

No.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
No.

Zz.
tell me how it happens

Philipsmett said:
tell me how it happens

What happens? What you ask does not happen, so what are you asking about now?

Quantum field theory is a more general version of quantum mechanics, in the limit of low energies they make the same predictions. Using quantum field theory to describe atomic processes is possible in principle but it is way too complicated in practice. It is like trying to describe the motion of a car on a highway with general relativity. Possible? Yes. But you need a week for the easiest processes where you can get a solution with Newtonian mechanics in a minute. Why would you want to do that?

The question is asking how you describe ionization or electron transfer in QFT.

mitchell porter said:
The question is asking how you describe ionization or electron transfer in QFT.

Let's note that even that is vague.

For example, in covalent bonding, electrons are shared between 2 atoms. So is this an "electron transfer" that goes back and forth? In tight-binding approximation, we have the "hopping" parameter "t" that corresponds to the overlap of the wavefunction between neighboring ions. Is this an "electron transfer"? In the conduction band, we have the Bloch wavefunction of the conduction electrons as they move across periodic lattice potential. Is this an "electron transfer"?

In all of those, one can easily be mistaken into thinking that these are electrons moving from one atom to another.

I'd like to know if the OP has similar issues in using the 'non-QFT' Hamiltonian, especially considering that one can often rewrite such Hamiltonian using Second Quantization.

Zz.

mfb said:
Quantum field theory is a more general version of quantum mechanics, in the limit of low energies they make the same predictions. Using quantum field theory to describe atomic processes is possible in principle but it is way too complicated in practice. It is like trying to describe the motion of a car on a highway with general relativity. Possible? Yes. But you need a week for the easiest processes where you can get a solution with Newtonian mechanics in a minute. Why would you want to do that?
I would like to know if an electron can move from one atom to another in quantum field theory

ZapperZ said:
Let's note that even that is vague.

For example, in covalent bonding, electrons are shared between 2 atoms. So is this an "electron transfer" that goes back and forth? In tight-binding approximation, we have the "hopping" parameter "t" that corresponds to the overlap of the wavefunction between neighboring ions. Is this an "electron transfer"? In the conduction band, we have the Bloch wavefunction of the conduction electrons as they move across periodic lattice potential. Is this an "electron transfer"?

In all of those, one can easily be mistaken into thinking that these are electrons moving from one atom to another.

I'd like to know if the OP has similar issues in using the 'non-QFT' Hamiltonian, especially considering that one can often rewrite such Hamiltonian using Second Quantization.

Zz.
Are you saying that in quantum field theory, an electron cannot move from one atom to another?

Philipsmett said:
Are you saying that in quantum field theory, an electron cannot move from one atom to another?

No, I did not say that.

How about you answer MY question: are you familiar with the standard QM, and Second Quantization?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
No, I did not say that.

How about you answer MY question: are you familiar with the standard QM, and Second Quantization?

Zz.
I am familiar only with quantum mechanics.
So say that in a quantum field theory an electron can move from one atom to another, for example in a triboelectrical effect? In quantum mechanics, this was described by the movement of the wave packet.

Philipsmett said:
I am familiar only with quantum mechanics.
So say that in a quantum field theory an electron can move from one atom to another, for example in a triboelectrical effect? In quantum mechanics, this was described by the movement of the wave packet.

And in tight-binding approximation, it is NOT described by "... movement of the wave packet...". That is the point that you seem to have trouble understanding. The concept of electrons going from one atom to another is VAGUE because there can be MANY different types and mechanism! I gave several different examples above, and you didn't seem to comprehend the significance in their differences!

If you have a specific phenomenon that you want this, then you should clearly describe it, rather than making an over-generalized description of "electrons going from one atom to another". Secondly, do you have the Hamiltonian to describe it in the usual quantum description? If you do, then you need to look up "Second Quantization", because this is what is involved in the QFT formulation. QFT is NOT something different!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
And in tight-binding approximation, it is NOT described by "... movement of the wave packet...". That is the point that you seem to have trouble understanding. The concept of electrons going from one atom to another is VAGUE because there can be MANY different types and mechanism! I gave several different examples above, and you didn't seem to comprehend the significance in their differences!

If you have a specific phenomenon that you want this, then you should clearly describe it, rather than making an over-generalized description of "electrons going from one atom to another". Secondly, do you have the Hamiltonian to describe it in the usual quantum description? If you do, then you need to look up "Second Quantization", because this is what is involved in the QFT formulation. QFT is NOT something different!

Zz.
for example a triboelectric where an electron must move from one atom to another under the action of an electromagnetic field? Is this possible in quantum field theory?

Philipsmett said:
for example a triboelectric where an electron must move from one atom to another under the action of an electromagnetic field? Is this possible in quantum field theory?

Is it possible in quantum mechanics?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Is it possible in quantum mechanics?

Zz.
Yes it is possible in QM but i don't understand about QFT because in quantum field theory, a virtual photon is used in electromagnetic interaction.Thank you

Last edited:
weirdoguy said:
What happens? What you ask does not happen, so what are you asking about now?
I asked "can field quanta (electron) move from one atom to another?" Thank you

Philipsmett said:
I asked "can field quanta (electron) move from one atom to another?"

And this question, as you ask it, is too vague to answer. Various suggestions have been made in this thread about how to make your question more precise so it can be answered. You don't seem to have the background to grasp any of these suggestions, so further discussion is unlikely to be helpful. You basically seem to be asking for someone to explain QFT to you, and that is much too broad for a PF discussion; you need to learn QFT from a textbook.

Thread closed.

1. How does a nanogenerator convert quantum energy into usable electricity?

A nanogenerator works by utilizing the principles of quantum field theory, which describe how particles and energy interact on a microscopic scale. In this theory, particles are constantly popping in and out of existence, and these fluctuations can be harnessed to create a flow of energy. The nanogenerator uses a special material called a piezoelectric material, which can generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress. By placing this material in a specific arrangement, the nanogenerator can capture the energy from these quantum fluctuations and convert it into usable electricity.

2. What is the role of quantum coherence in the functioning of a nanogenerator?

Quantum coherence is the phenomenon where particles can be in multiple states at the same time. In a nanogenerator, this is important because it allows for a larger number of particle interactions, increasing the overall energy output. The piezoelectric material used in a nanogenerator is designed to maintain quantum coherence, allowing for a more efficient conversion of quantum energy into electricity.

3. Can a nanogenerator work with any type of material?

No, a nanogenerator requires a material with specific properties in order to function. The material must be able to maintain quantum coherence, as well as have piezoelectric properties. Some examples of materials that can be used in nanogenerators include zinc oxide, lead zirconate titanate, and polyvinylidene fluoride.

4. How does miniaturization affect the performance of a nanogenerator?

Miniaturization plays a crucial role in the efficiency of a nanogenerator. As the size of the device decreases, the surface area increases, allowing for a higher number of particle interactions and a greater energy output. Additionally, miniaturization allows for the integration of nanogenerators into small devices, making them more practical for everyday use.

5. Can nanogenerators be used to power large-scale devices?

At this point in time, nanogenerators are not capable of producing enough power to sustain large-scale devices. However, researchers are constantly working on improving and scaling up nanogenerators to make them more suitable for larger applications. In the future, it is possible that nanogenerators could be used to power small electronic devices or be integrated into renewable energy systems.