How does a solid-state gyroscope work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between classical gyroscopes and modern solid-state gyroscopes, which are based on the coriolis force. The principle of operation for solid-state gyroscopes involves vibration of moving parts, as opposed to rotation in traditional gyroscopes. This allows for smaller and more precise gyroscopes. The conversation also mentions the use of gels in 3-axis accelerometers and how they are used in their fabrication, damping, or actual operation.
Riscilla
Hi everybody,

I think that I understand how classical gyroscopes work. But I can't understand how solid-state gyroscopes work. I have searched the internet for a good explanation of their principle of operation for several days but I've found nothing. I just don't see any relation between a classical gyroscope (with a spinning wheel) and a modern, solid-state one.

If you have time please explain it to me.

Thank you for reading my question.

Regards,

Riscilla.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solid-state? Do you mean the MEMS thingies with microscopic spring-pendula?

Or do you mean a 3-axis accelerometer using gels?

cesiumfrog said:
Solid-state? Do you mean the MEMS thingies with microscopic spring-pendula?

Well, I mean the gyroscopes whose operating principles are based on the coriolis force

Solid-state gyroscopes are -as far as I know- essentially just miniature versions of ordinary gyroscopes, i.e they are still based on something moving.
With modern technology we can make these moving parts very small, but a micromechanical (=MEMS) gyroscope is still based in principles that goes all the way back to Newton.

Riscilla said:
Well, I mean the gyroscopes whose operating principles are based on the coriolis force

Well, rotation sensing is a subclass of acceleration sensing in general, and all acceleration sensing is in one form or another sensing of inertial effects. In that sense gyroscopes and solid state sensors do go back to the same principle.Concentrating on rotation sensors: whereas a traditional gyroscope works with rotation of the moving part, solid state sensors work with vibration of the moving part.

The simplest kind of vibrating part rotation sensor is a single rod. Actually, the first to describe the observation was Foucault (known for his Foucault pendulum)
Foucault had clamped a rod in the chuck of a lathe, he twanged the rod, and he slowly turned the lathe. Interestingly, the plane of vibration of the rod maintained its direction. The conclusion had to be that the inertia of the motion is not locked to the material of the vibrating rod; in that sense the direction of the plane of vibration is immaterial.

So if you design a casing with three vibration rods in it, pointing in three perpendicular directions, then you can always infer the overall rotation. Another example is a design that works with a ring.
The vibration that is set up is one in which the ring remains planar, but the vibration deforms it to elongated shape. The vibration has four nodes and four anti-nodes. This vibration pattern has a directionality: you can detect where the nodes are.
Interestingly, if you rotate that ring physically, the immaterial direction of vibration is conserved. It's a form of conservation of momentum.
Again, with a design with three rings perdendicular to each other, you can always infer your overall rotation.

The first rotation sensor that operated on the basis of vibration was the Foucault pendulum. In the following article on my own website I discuss http://www.cleonis.nl/physics/phys256/foucault_pendulum.php" [Broken]

Cleonis
http://www.cleonis.nl

Last edited by a moderator:
DannoXYZ said:
Or do you mean a 3-axis accelerometer using gels?
How are gels used? (Fabrication, damping, or actual operation?)

Thank you all for your detailed answers. Now I already understand the problem. :)

Regards,

Riscilla.

Likes Tonis

1. How does a solid-state gyroscope work?

A solid-state gyroscope works by utilizing the principles of angular momentum and the Coriolis effect. It consists of a small, vibrating mass that is sensitive to changes in rotation. As the gyroscope rotates, the Coriolis force causes the mass to move, which can be measured and used to determine the orientation and rotation of the gyroscope.

2. What is the difference between a solid-state gyroscope and a mechanical gyroscope?

A solid-state gyroscope, also known as a MEMS (microelectromechanical system) gyroscope, uses microelectronic components and sensors to measure rotation, while a mechanical gyroscope uses a spinning wheel or disc to detect changes in direction. Solid-state gyroscopes are typically smaller, more accurate, and more resistant to external influences compared to mechanical gyroscopes.

3. How is a solid-state gyroscope used in navigation systems?

Solid-state gyroscopes are commonly used in navigation systems, such as in smartphones and drones, to detect changes in orientation and provide accurate direction and position information. They can also be found in aircrafts, ships, and other vehicles to assist with navigation and stabilization.

4. Are there any limitations to solid-state gyroscopes?

Like any technology, solid-state gyroscopes have limitations. They can be affected by external factors such as temperature changes, vibrations, and electromagnetic interference. They also have a limited range of accuracy and may experience drift over time, requiring regular calibration.

5. How does a solid-state gyroscope improve virtual reality experiences?

Solid-state gyroscopes play a crucial role in virtual reality experiences by providing accurate motion tracking. In VR headsets, they detect the movement of the user's head, allowing for a more immersive and realistic experience. They are also used in handheld controllers for VR games, providing precise and responsive motion control.