How does a wave with circular polarization behave?

In summary: Since with a linearly polarized wave the electrons of the receiving material have a linear movement, I cannot understand how the electrons of the receiving material can behave with a circular waveIn summary, an em wave with circular polarization behaves like a coil.
lambjx
does an em wave with circular polarization behave like a coil, i.e. do perpendicular electromagnetic fields join internally? I am very confused on this subject

• Skeptical
Likes Delta2
Science news on Phys.org
lambjx said:
Summary:: how does a wave with circular polarization behave?

does an em wave with circular polarization behave like a coil, i.e. do perpendicular electromagnetic fields join internally? I am very confused on this subject
Watch this video. It's short and informative. Pay attention to the green arrow representing the resultant.

kuruman said:
Watch this video. It's short and informative. Pay attention to the green arrow representing the resultant.
so if I understand correctly, in the conductor that receives the circular wave, its electrons have a circular motion? similar to that of a reel?

lambjx said:
so if I understand correctly, in the conductor that receives the circular wave, its electrons have a circular motion? similar to that of a reel?
No. There is no conductor. The electromagnetic wave is a disturbance that propagates in vacuum. The net electric field vector characterizing this disturbance rotates in space as the wave propagates. If the wave is incident on a conductor the electrons will accelerate opposite to whatever direction the electric field points.

kuruman said:
No. There is no conductor. The electromagnetic wave is a disturbance that propagates in vacuum. The net electric field vector characterizing this disturbance rotates in space as the wave propagates. If the wave is incident on a conductor the electrons will accelerate opposite to whatever direction the electric field points.
therefore the electrons incident on the conductor do not follow a rotating path, but go up and down always changing direction ??

lambjx said:
therefore the electrons incident on the conductor do not follow a rotating path, but go up and down always changing direction ??
There are no electrons in an EM wave, so there are no electrons incident on anything. There's no conductor in your OP either - are you trying to consider the effect of an EM wave incident on a plane conductive surface?

Ibix said:
There are no electrons in an EM wave, so there are no electrons incident on anything. There's no conductor in your OP either - are you trying to consider the effect of an EM wave incident on a plane conductive surface?
guys i know that there are no electrons in an em wave, i just wanted to say if a circularly polarized em wave, when it hits a surface in this case can be flat, can generate a movement of electrons or ions, circular. I ask because I have seen that the helix antennas have a coil configuration

Likes Delta2
Ibix said:

since with a linearly polarized wave the electrons of the receiving material have a linear movement, I cannot understand how the electrons of the receiving material can behave with a circular wave

Likes Delta2
This is my response to the PM you sent me. Your thread started with a vague question
lambjx said:
how does a wave with circular polarization behave?
I believe that particular question was answered in posts #2 and #4. Following these posts, you started talking about electrons in a conductor. If your question is about helical antennas, then perhaps this Wikipedia article might help.

I am not an antenna person, but if you refine your question and be more specific about what you want to know, then perhaps you might get a more comprehensive answer if you post in the Electrical Engineering forum.

Likes vanhees71 and Delta2
lambjx said:
guys i know that there are no electrons in an em wave, i just wanted to say if a circularly polarized em wave, when it hits a surface in this case can be flat, can generate a movement of electrons or ions, circular. I ask because I have seen that the helix antennas have a coil configuration
A good way to look at circularly polarised em waves to to think in terms of (very common) transmitting aerials that can produce CP. Take two dipoles, mounted at right angles (along x and y axes). Feed them with two RF signals (same frequency of course) in such a way that the two signals are in quadrature (90° phase difference). If you go along the z axis the signals will add together to produce circular polarisation. The direction of the E field sweeps around the z axis at the same frequency as the separate signals from the two dipoles.
If the dipoles are fed in phase, the resultant will be plane polarised at 45° to x and y. It's just a matter of vector addition of the two E fields.
When an em wave hits a metal surface, the electrons do not 'move' significantly because the drift velocity is a matter mm per second and the oscillations will be in MHz or faster.

A helical antenna does have currents flowing along the helix but the actual movement of electrons is still vanishingly small.

However, in the Ionosphere, the free electrons can be regarded as moving significant distances because there are so few of them, compared within a metal and, in the presence of the Earth's magnetic field and the low density plasma up there, the electrons can be considered to actually move in ellipses when the incoming wave is linearly polarised. The medium is Birefringent.

Likes jasonRF

1. What is circular polarization?

Circular polarization is a type of wave motion where the electric field vector rotates in a circular pattern as the wave propagates through space. This is in contrast to linear polarization, where the electric field vector oscillates in a straight line.

2. How does a wave with circular polarization behave?

A circularly polarized wave behaves like a combination of two perpendicular linearly polarized waves, one with a clockwise rotation and the other with a counterclockwise rotation. This results in a wave that appears to spiral as it propagates.

3. What is the difference between right-handed and left-handed circular polarization?

In right-handed circular polarization, the electric field vector rotates in a clockwise direction as the wave propagates. In left-handed circular polarization, the electric field vector rotates in a counterclockwise direction. This difference is determined by the direction of the magnetic field vector.

4. How is circular polarization produced?

Circular polarization can be produced by passing a linearly polarized wave through a special type of filter called a quarter-wave plate. This plate delays one component of the wave by a quarter of a wavelength, resulting in a circularly polarized wave.

5. What are some real-world applications of circular polarization?

Circular polarization is used in various technologies, such as satellite communications, radar systems, and 3D glasses. It is also commonly used in optical microscopy to enhance contrast and in polarized sunglasses to reduce glare.