How Does Altitude Affect the Properties of Helium in a Balloon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Niles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Niles
Messages
1,834
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have a balloon on the ground, where it is 20 degrees celsius, and it has a volume of 5L (it is filled with helium). The pressure at the ground is 1 atmosphere. The balloon itself (without helium) weighs 0.1 kg.

I find the force that makes the balloon go up to be:

F_up = (m_air)*g = 58.96 N

F_down = (m_Helium + m_ballon) * g = 9.13 N

So the balloon will go up.

I can also find the number of Helium-moles from n = m/M, and I find that n = 207 moles.

The Attempt at a Solution


My questions are:

As the balloon goes up, the pressure goes down and so does the temperature. I want to know, which parametres are affected by this?

The density of the helium? Yes, because density is written as "rho" = M*p/(R*T), so this changes.

The volume of the helium? yes, this changes as well.

The number of helium-moles? No, this is constant too.

The mass of the helium? Yes, this gets smaller when the temperature goes down since "rho" = m/V.

The pressure inside the balloon? No, this stays the same.

Can you guys please confirm this?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
- the pressure of the balloon is constant also, right?