How does an anal fissure cause the anal sphincter to spasm?

1. I have an anal fissure. When I have a bowel movement, I don't feel any pain while I'm having the bowel movement or even a few minutes later. I start to feel pain about 30 minutes after the bowel movement. I have researched this on the internet, and I have discovered that my delayed pain after a bowel movement is a result of my anal sphincter spasming. This delayed pain after a bowel movement as a result of anal sphincter spasms is apparently fairly common with anal fissures.

What I don't understand is why would a bowel movement cause the anal sphincter to spasm.

When a person has an anal fissure, why does his or her anal sphincter spasm after a bowel movement?

2. jcsd
  3. The spasm is actually caused by action of contraction of sphinters,that is a part of reflex arc,due to the highly sensitive sensory action of fissured anoderm.This is a protective reflex,infact dre and proctoscopy is contraindicated in this medical condition.

4. prasant, you started "the spasm is actually caused by action of contraction of sphincters." Well, yeah, a spasm is a contraction. That does not explain anything to me. Then you said the contraction of sphincters is part of a reflex arc, due to the highly sensitive sensory action of fissured anoderm. What in the nation does that mean?

5. What is a reflex arc?

6. We think all actions are results from signals send from the brain. That's not always the case. Other originate from the spinal cord. A reflex is purely mediated through the spinal cord.

7. It means that if I suffer brain death, my anal sphincter will still suffer spasm whenever I have bowel motions or when a doctor does a digital rectal exam on me. I won't feel the pain though cause I'll be brain dead remember? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook