How does contact occur at the atomic level?

In summary: When two atoms come into contact, they may exhibit some sort of energy level splitting, which may lead to electron exchange. However, if the atoms do not readily bond, then it may be difficult to excite the electrons, and the process may become unfavorable energetically. In most cases, contact forces are due to electromagnetic repulsions.
Johnny5454
When we touch something, will there always be a layer of air between us?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF.
Good question. The answer is that it will depend on the time elapsed. Initially there will be partial contact, with gaps (bubbles even) with air in them. After time, the skin will come together and gradually squeeze most of the air molecules out. But there will always be some trace molecules in there, until they are absorbed by the skin and the moisture between the fingers.
This is a phenomenon with touching metal surfaces. In air, they have a very thin layer of air and associated 'grot' which keeps them separate, usually and if they are not scrupulously clean. Metals in a high vacuum, as in spacecraft can weld themselves together once all the surface impurities have evaporated. Hatches can weld shut - which is a potential problem. Scary.

Likes Lren Zvsm, Dale, etotheipi and 1 other person
sophiecentaur said:
Hi and welcome to PF.
Good question. The answer is that it will depend on the time elapsed. Initially there will be partial contact, with gaps (bubbles even) with air in them. After time, the skin will come together and gradually squeeze most of the air molecules out. But there will always be some trace molecules in there, until they are absorbed by the skin and the moisture between the fingers.
This is a phenomenon with touching metal surfaces. In air, they have a very thin layer of air and associated 'grot' which keeps them separate, usually and if they are not scrupulously clean. Metals in a high vacuum, as in spacecraft can weld themselves together once all the surface impurities have evaporated. Hatches can weld shut - which is a potential problem. Scary.
How long will it take before there is air left between my hand and the surface?

How long is "long"? :wink: Your question opens a whole can of practical worms.
Also, what level of air are you referring to? Most of it will go in a fraction of a second - as your fingers 'squidge' together. If your fingers are greasy (no water to dissolve the gases), I guess it could be hours before there is no detectable air in there because it will not dissolve.
Try an experiment (Always try an experiment when you possibly can - that's my motto - really) with a drinking glass, held in the fingers and look from the other side from the contact at a very oblique angle. Depending on how dry /wet / greasy your finger is, you can get reflection (total internal) of light at the inner surface. Sometimes you see the finger print ridges and sometimes a silvery pattern, when the trapped air allows total internal reflection.

A glass block is even better, If you can get hold of one. Perhaps some picture glass or a toy prism etc..

Likes Johnny5454
that is, when I touch the surface, almost all of the air is forced out and the atoms of my fingers come in contact with the atoms of the surface?

1) when a person’s fingers touch the surface, will the atoms of the fingers directly interact with the atoms of the surface, or is there a layer of air between them that will prevent contact? Since air atoms are everywhere. 2) How does contact with the surface occur? Does Pauli's principle of exclusion take effect immediately or do electrostatic forces first act?

Likes etotheipi
No layer of air. The atoms of finger and table interact directly, in the sense that the electron hulls repel each other. There is normally no exchange of electrons, hence Pauli doesn't apply.

Johnny5454 said:
1) when a person’s fingers touch the surface, will the atoms of the fingers directly interact with the atoms of the surface, or is there a layer of air between them that will prevent contact? Since air atoms are everywhere. 2) How does contact with the surface occur? Does Pauli's principle of exclusion take effect immediately or do electrostatic forces first act?
Try this:

https://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2013/04/16/do-atoms-ever-actually-touch-each-other/

Likes davenn

Likes DrClaude, nasu and davenn
At one point I did some work scattering He atoms from the surface of crystalline graphite. The interaction was remarkable well described by a Lennard-Jones potential. In this potential the attraction is Van der Waals and the repulsion is essentially Pauli exclusion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennard-Jones_potential

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, Dale, Paul Colby and 3 others
Johnny5454 said:
Does Pauli's principle of exclusion take effect immediately or do electrostatic forces first act?

I think this is a good question; I hope someone can shed some light on it.

When you bring two atoms close to each other, okay maybe there is some energy level splitting because of some exchange interaction (maybe you can find this from the overlap integral?). If the two atoms don't readily bond then perhaps to excite the electrons you need to supply energy and this makes the process unfavourable energetically. Maybe we can lump this into some sort of 'repulsive' term (?).

But often people refer to contact forces as arising from electromagnetic repulsions.

How do these two different explanations mesh together? I apologise if I made a mistake, I don't really know anything about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Leo Liu
fresh_42 said:
No layer of air. The atoms of finger and table interact directly, in the sense that the electron hulls repel each other. There is normally no exchange of electrons, hence Pauli doesn't apply.
I can't help thinking that, if that were the case, your fingers would actually stick together. But I guess we are talking about different time scales. I'd bet it would take many minutes before all traces of 'air' molecules went away and that would be due to absorption of the skin. Living tissue is a difficult substance to discuss. (Even the proteins in chopped meat will tend to recombine and the chunks can 'stick together'. )

Likes Johnny5454
etotheipi said:
How do these two different explanations mesh together? I apologise if I made a mistake, I don't really know anything about this.
Good questions. Consider just two atoms
The attraction at long range is due to fluctuating dipolar interactions. Even between two noble gas atoms. Here is a (not very good) explanation for why they are attracted at long range:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_dispersion_force

The repulsion which worries you is really quite subtle. Because these interactions are between electrically neutral atoms, the exact distribution of the charge becomes more important. The net effect of Pauli is to make electrons vacate the space between the nuclei. This makes the repulsive effect of the coulomb repulsion very much stronger at short interatomic distances than it would otherwise be. This is an "exchange mediated" effect.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
sophiecentaur said:
The answer is that it will depend on the time elapsed. Initially there will be partial contact, with gaps (bubbles even) with air in them. After time, the skin will come together and gradually squeeze most of the air molecules out. But there will always be some trace molecules in there, until they are absorbed by the skin and the moisture between the fingers.
The OP was asking "at the atomic level" :wink:

hutchphd said:
The repulsion which worries you is really quite subtle. Because these interactions are between electrically neutral atoms, the exact distribution of the charge becomes more important. The net effect of Pauli is to make electrons vacate the space between the nuclei. This makes the repulsive effect of the coulomb repulsion very much stronger at short interatomic distances than it would otherwise be. This is an "exchange mediated" effect.

Interesting! So it's a combination of the PEP and the Coulomb interactions. But I imagine any work that results from the interaction is still electrostatic in nature, then.

I don't know if this is too far from the OP, but what about for something like electron degeneracy pressure? As far as I know, this would also be an exchange mediated effect (and Wikipedia tells me Dyson showed its not because of electrostatic repulsion). Perhaps one can do some calculations with the De Broglie wavelength to see that the average momentum increases if you confine the electrons to a smaller volume, but does the 'repulsive interaction' (don't know if this is the correct wording!) demonstrated here have any relation to the effect you described, between the electrically neutral atoms? Or does the pressure result from a different type of interaction?

Last edited by a moderator:
etotheipi said:
I hope someone can shed some light on it.

Did you watch the video in post #9 ?

davenn said:
Did you watch the video in post #9 ?

Yes, that was where I got the idea for the question from. In any case, I would like to learn a bit more about the details 😁. Plus, it was sort of uncomfortable when they started bickering at the end.

etotheipi said:
Yes, that was where I got the idea for the question from. Plus, it was sort of weird when they started bickering at the end. In any case, I would like to learn a bit more about the details 😁.
well their discussion and "arguments" pretty much tells you the issues being dealt with.
I remember first watching that video some 8 years ago.
for other really cool physics topics, you should search on youtube for sixty symbols

Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
electron degeneracy pressure?
etotheipi said:
As far as I know, this would also be an exchange mediated effect (and Wikipedia tells me Dyson showed its not because of electrostatic repulsion)

fred
I guess I would call this a "direct exchange effect" but let us not quibble about semantics.
So I would simply say that both effects exist and their relative importance depends upon the circumstance.
I presume you understand the gist of Dyson's argument. I think it is essentially that
##\frac { \partial E_f } {\partial Volume } ## is a pressure ?

Likes etotheipi
hutchphd said:
fred
I guess I would call this a "direct exchange effect" but let us not quibble about semantics.
So I would simply say that both effects exist and their relative importance depends upon the circumstance.
I presume you understand the gist of Dyson's argument. I think it is essentially that
##\frac { \partial E_f } {\partial Volume } ## is a pressure ?

You are right, I also found a derivation along those same thermodynamics lines here. He suggests that this pressure is not linked to any of the fundamental interactions, so there's no 'force' in the usual sense. Thanks for your help!

Anyway I have the feeling I'm derailing OPs thread, so I'll stop for a bit now :wink:.

Likes hutchphd
Johnny5454 said:
When we touch something, will there always be a layer of air between us?

Don't we have a FAQ on this question already? If we don't, we should.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Don't we have a FAQ on this question already?
I thought so too. Maybe an Insights?

ZapperZ said:
Don't we have a FAQ on this question already? If we don't, we should.

Zz.
when a person touches another person, do the atoms of his fingers really come into contact with the atoms of the skin of another person or will there always be an air layer between them, because air is everywhere. Some say that skin atoms can stick together, but if they come in contact directly?

Johnny5454 said:
when a person touches another person, do the atoms of his fingers really come into contact with the atoms of the skin of another person or will there always be an air layer between them, because air is everywhere. Some say that skin atoms can stick together, but if they come in contact directly?
You've gotten a lot of good replies in this thread already. Have you read them? In particular, did you watch the video posted by @A.T. in post #9?

sophiecentaur said:
I can't help thinking that, if that were the case, your fingers would actually stick together. But I guess we are talking about different time scales. I'd bet it would take many minutes before all traces of 'air' molecules went away and that would be due to absorption of the skin. Living tissue is a difficult substance to discuss. (Even the proteins in chopped meat will tend to recombine and the chunks can 'stick together'. )
I would like to clarify, when a person touches another person, do the atoms of the hand come into contact with the atoms of the skin of another person, or will there be a thin layer of air around all the objects that will impede the contact between the atoms of the hand and the atoms of the skin of another person? Or will almost all of the air be pushed out and there will be direct contact? thank

Johnny5454 said:
I would like to clarify, when a person touches another person, do the atoms of the hand come into contact with the atoms of the skin of another person, or will there be a thin layer of air around all the objects that will impede the contact between the atoms of the hand and the atoms of the skin of another person? Or will almost all of the air be pushed out and there will be direct contact? thank

It's like talking to a wall.

Zz.

Likes Johnny5454
ZapperZ said:
It's like talking to a wall.

Zz.
Hello, you are a very good physicist and I respect you and respect your answers.

It’s just that I received a not very clear answer to my question, which is whether the layer of air separates us when we touch something or do we directly interact with the atoms of the object that we touch?
thank

sophiecentaur said:
Can I clarify? That is, between the hand and the skin there will always be some molecules of air or water, but there will be places where the skin atoms will directly interact with the atoms of the hand without any air between them?

1. How do atoms make contact with each other?

Atoms make contact with each other through the interaction of their outermost electrons. When two atoms come close enough, their electrons can interact and form chemical bonds.

2. What forces are involved in atomic contact?

The forces involved in atomic contact are electromagnetic forces, which are responsible for the attraction and repulsion between charged particles such as electrons and protons.

3. Can atoms make contact without forming chemical bonds?

Yes, atoms can make contact without forming chemical bonds. This type of contact is known as van der Waals interaction, which is a weak attraction between atoms or molecules due to temporary dipoles in their electron clouds.

4. How does the size of atoms affect contact at the atomic level?

The size of atoms plays a crucial role in determining how they make contact at the atomic level. The smaller the atoms, the closer they can get to each other, and the stronger the chemical bonds or interactions between them will be.

5. What is the significance of understanding atomic contact?

Understanding atomic contact is essential in various fields of science, such as chemistry, physics, and material science. It helps us understand the properties and behavior of matter, and it is crucial in developing new materials and technologies.