How Does Hadlock Prove Every Polynomial of Degree n Has a Symmetric Group Sn?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ray
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Group
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Ray
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Can anyone explain the idea behind Hadlock's proof that there is an Sn for every poly of degree n? Theorem 37 page 217
I can follow how to build up G from F using symmetric functions and the primitive element theorem. A lso I get the idea of constructing a poly of deg n! from one of deg n. But he starts with rationals beta1 etc to make G irreducible and I don't see the connection back down to F.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is a little vague to me, especially since I do not have the book, and Amazon does not allow searching Theorem 37 on page 217. They do show p. 216, lemma 37f, where Hadlock proves irreducibility of F however. What is it about F that you want to know?

Your question is also a bit muddled. Hadlock is apparently proving that for every positive integer n, there is a polynomial of degree n, which is irreducible over Q and has Galois group S(n).

The idea is apparently to find such a polynomial with variable coefficients and then specialize the coefficients carefully so the result remains irreducible.
 
Hope I can make my question clearer: Why does the first line of Hadlock's proof begin "By Hilbert's irreducibility theorem..."?

ie Hadlock starts with rationals beta1 etc to make G irreducible and I don't see the connection back down to F.