How Does Horizontal Force Balance with Friction on an Inclined Plane?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ngorecki
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
A 2.00 kg block is held in equilibrium on an incline of angle θ = 55° by a horizontal force, F. If the coefficient of static friction between block and incline is µ s = 0.300, determine
(a) the minimum value of F and
(b) the normal force of the incline on the block.

F = ma
Mu = Ff/Fn

I am having trouble starting out. I don't know what the initial equation should be. Could i get some hints?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Always, always, always start with a free-body diagram. Have you done that yet?
 
I have done that.
And i changed gravity into the x and y components.
I am not sure what to solve for first/how to solve for it
 
The object is in equilibrium, so the net force in the x direction equals zero and the net force in the y direction equals 0. Now solve for that force F in the x and y direction to find its components.