Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does mass cause warp in spacetime?

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    Is it something like that involves gravitons? Like mass producing gravitons that warp spacetime? All is it something like qft whereby spacetime is just a field and only those with mass can interact with it, resulting in warped in spacetime which is equivalent to excitation of fields in quantum field theory (qftt)?

Forgive me for such question as I am not smart at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

We don't have a theory with which to answer this question. That is one of the major directions of theoretical physics right now.

4. Feb 27, 2015 #3
    And what do you mean by that one? Is it the graviton? Or qft?

5. Feb 27, 2015 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I mean we don't know yet. We don't have a theoretical framework that seems right, we don't have the computational tools to make experimental predictions on the theoretical frameworks that we do have, and we don't have experimental data in the appropriate regime to compare those computations against. Your question simply doesn't have an answer right now and will require decades or more of development of theory, computation, and experiment. It is a good question and an active area of research.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  6. Feb 28, 2015 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Wouldn't the graviton be the QFT way to approach the gravitational interaction :rolleyes:?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook