How does my microwave oven affect a wireless router?

In summary, my daughter claims that when she runs our microwave oven, it disables her laptop computer connection to our wireless router. It is possible that the microwave oven draws power sparking from a loose 120 wall plug, creating noise, which might disable the wifi connection. We may be sterlizied if this is the case.
Naty1
My daughter claims that when she runs our microwave oven, it disables her laptop computer connection to our wireless router. What might cause that? Will we be sterlizied?? (just joking...I think!)

One possibility is that when the microwave oven draws power sparking from a loose 120 wall plug might create noise...but the plug seems secure in the wall outlet.

Science news on Phys.org
It is possible, microwave ovens operate across the 2.4Ghz band used by Wifi (and Bluetooth).
Although the oven is shielded well enough to stop the microwaves damaging you, a wifi antenna is very sensitive and you only need a few millionths of the power from the oven leaking out to affect a wifi link.

Try setting your wifi router to different channels.

You could try lining the oven with foil :)

Edit: On the outside, not the inside!

Strange I never had my microwave affect my wireless internet connection.

I am still running my wireless network at 2.4GHz because my stupid wireless phone is all over the 5.8GHz band.

DaveC426913 said:
I am still running my wireless network at 2.4GHz because my stupid wireless phone is all over the 5.8GHz band.
Does anyone have any 802.11a kit that can run at 5GHz - I've never seen any.
Sometimes there is enough difference between channel 1 and 11 on the 2.4GHz band to get away from some interference.

Older microwave ovens can affect your wireless signal badly, the older the technology of your microwave the worse it can be, the magnetron in more modern microwaves are designed more in line with wireless technology. The worst microwaves are 1080watt and 1200watt. Most new microwave ovens will not make much difference.

The RF frequencies from older microwaves affect the higher channels 802.11b/g worse than the lower, so if your wireless router picks itself a channel and choose 11 you may be in trouble, unless you plan on replacing your microwave oven for a newer model, then I suggest configuring your wireless rouhter to work on channel 1, or at least channel 6 or lower.

I just finished trouble shooting a campus wireless problem involving someone who had a really old microwave oven in her office, it was ancient, as soon as somehting was cooked and the door was opened, it knocked everyone off completely and people could not authenticate again for up 15 minutes. The oven blanketed the air with interfering RF signals that just choked everything.

See also this article

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3116531

If it's leaking enough to damage the connection, wouldn't that be enough that it may be damaged and not containing it and a risk to you?

Also this makes me worry, with WiFis using this microwave range. I sit right next to my WiFi for hours on end, am I cooking my brain?

Using a guess of the WiFi wattage at 0.06 and my microwave oven at 600W, that means 2.8 hours by my router = a second of my oven's microwave wattage...

I can easily spend 3h on the comp a day (yeah I know, sad) so... I don't like the idea of exposing myself to 6 minutes in the microwave every year...

Brain cancer scares me the most, would a tin foil hat help?

tyciol said:
If it's leaking enough to damage the connection, wouldn't that be enough that it may be damaged and not containing it and a risk to you?

Also this makes me worry, with WiFis using this microwave range. I sit right next to my WiFi for hours on end, am I cooking my brain?

Using a guess of the WiFi wattage at 0.06 and my microwave oven at 600W, that means 2.8 hours by my router = a second of my oven's microwave wattage...

I can easily spend 3h on the comp a day (yeah I know, sad) so... I don't like the idea of exposing myself to 6 minutes in the microwave every year...

Brain cancer scares me the most, would a tin foil hat help?

I don't know if you are serious or just kidding, probably both.

One thing to consider when comparing the 2, when you use a microwave, the food is enclosed in the microwave. But in case of the Antenna, your head receives only a part of the radiation.

So a hat, partially covered with tin foil would suffice.

Also, when you consider the wattage for comparison, you are assuming equal efficiency of both devices.

mgb_phys said:
Does anyone have any 802.11a kit that can run at 5GHz - I've never seen any.
Sometimes there is enough difference between channel 1 and 11 on the 2.4GHz band to get away from some interference.

802.11a _is_ always at 5GHz...see the wiki entries. Here's a Dlink AP that does them all:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=304
b and g are at 2.4Ghz and subject to oven interactions.

I wonder if the OP's oven is damaged and leaking. Some moving-around of components might enlighten the situation.

How Does My Microwave Oven Affect a Wireless Router?

Microwave ovens and wireless routers both operate on the 2.4 GHz frequency band, which can lead to interference and potential disruptions in Wi-Fi signals. Let's explore some common questions about how microwave ovens can affect wireless routers:

Q1: Why Does Microwave Oven Interfere with Wi-Fi?

Microwave ovens emit electromagnetic radiation in the 2.4 GHz frequency range, which is the same frequency used by many wireless routers for Wi-Fi communication. When the microwave is in use, it can produce interference that disrupts Wi-Fi signals, leading to slower internet speeds or temporary disconnections.

Q2: How Does Microwave Interference Occur?

Microwave interference occurs because the microwave's radiation can create electromagnetic noise that overlaps with the Wi-Fi signals. This noise can introduce signal interference, making it harder for devices to communicate with the wireless router effectively.

Q3: Does Every Microwave Oven Cause Wi-Fi Interference?

Not every microwave oven will cause Wi-Fi interference, and the extent of interference can vary. It depends on factors like the microwave's power, design, shielding, and the proximity of the router to the microwave. High-powered microwaves without effective shielding are more likely to cause interference.

Q4: Can I Prevent Microwave Interference?

While you cannot completely eliminate microwave interference, there are steps you can take to minimize its impact:

• Placement: Position your wireless router away from the microwave oven to reduce interference. Ideally, place the router in a central location in your home.
  • Frequency Bands: Some routers offer dual-band functionality, allowing you to use the 5 GHz band, which is less susceptible to microwave interference.
  • Router Settings: Adjust your router's channel settings to choose a channel with less interference from nearby devices and appliances.
  • Upgrading Hardware: Consider upgrading to a newer router with improved interference mitigation features.

Q5: How Temporary is the Interference?

Interference caused by a microwave oven is typically temporary and occurs while the microwave is in use. Once the microwave stops, the interference diminishes, and Wi-Fi signals should return to normal. It is a temporary disruption rather than a long-term issue.

Q6: Can I Use Wi-Fi and Microwave Simultaneously?

Yes, you can use Wi-Fi and a microwave oven simultaneously. While interference may occur, it should not prevent you from using both devices concurrently. However, you may notice a temporary drop in Wi-Fi performance during microwave use.

Q7: Are There Wi-Fi Routers Less Susceptible to Interference?

Some Wi-Fi routers are designed with better interference resistance and mitigation features. When choosing a router, consider models that are known for their ability to handle interference from common household devices like microwaves.

In summary, microwave ovens can affect wireless routers by causing interference in the 2.4 GHz frequency band they share. While interference is temporary and can be minimized, it is essential to be aware of potential disruptions and take steps to mitigate them for a smoother Wi-Fi experience.