1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How does one make an Amplitude vs. Frequency plot?

1. Nov 19, 2017 #1
    I am working on homework for a physics lab course and I am asked to write a python function which will produce an amplitude v.s frequency plot. In a previous problem I wrote a function which simulates data from a sine wave in the form of a time series; the new function should be able to take this data as input and produce a plot.

I am somewhat at a loss as to where to begin with this problem. I have worked some with amplitude vs frequency plots in the lab, but I haven't been asked to produce one before and after a couple hours I still don't have a starting point.

To be clear, I'm not asking for programming advice, I'll figure out the code after I know what I'm doing conceptually.

I have calculated ∆v, the frequency resolution which depends on the sampling frequency and number of data points taken but I am stuck on this: given a set of data points from a sine wave, how do I extract the amplitude of each frequency component?

Sorry if the language used here is somewhat unclear, I will happily clarify anything doesn't make sense above.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Nov 20, 2017 #3
    Yes, it turns out that I just needed to work the standard scipy fft function into my own function and configure it to accept a time series array as input.

Thanks for your reply, turns out I was just overcomplicating things by trying to write a function to plot amplitude vs. frequency from scratch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted