How Does Power Dissipation in One Resistor Relate to Total Power from Batteries?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Vibhor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Power Resistor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Vibhor
Messages
971
Reaction score
40

Homework Statement



?temp_hash=1eddb76332f616651af9e5451b986d8b.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
The first and foremost thing which I do not understand in this question is that there are many resistors present in the circuit , so how is it that we could relate power dissipated in one resistor to the power supplied by the batteries ??

But if I assume only one resistor , then I do get option a) .

Thanks
 
Attachments
  • question4.png
    question4.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Vibhor said:
But if I assume only one resistor , then I do get option a) .
That's correct.
Vibhor said:
The first and foremost thing which I do not understand in this question is that there are many resistors present in the circuit , so how is it that we could relate power dissipated in one resistor to the power supplied by the batteries ??
When you make changes in the supply voltage, voltage across and current through each resistor in the network change proportionally. This is because resistors follow linear relation between V and I i.e. Ohm's law, irrespective of their configuration.