1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A How does Radiance change with a parabolic reflector?

Tags:
  1. Apr 18, 2016 #1
    Lets say I have a coil that is 1cmx1cm in area that gets heat up. I am told that I get 2W/cm^2/sr output. So if I had 100 of them in an array, the total radiant intensity would be (2W/cm^2/sr x 100 x 1 sqcm =) 200W/sr.

Now, let's say I add a parabolic reflector around each coil. How would I estimate the increase in radiance and radiant intensity (in the direction of the reflector? Do I now use the aperture area of each reflector instead of the area of the coil? Do I multiply by 2pi since now I can able to see the radiance from the back of the coil? This is where I am getting confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The intensity(watts/sr) ## I=L*A ## where ## L ## is the radiance and ## A ## is the area of the source or reflector (i.e. illuminated/projected area) assuming 100% reflector reflectivity. The total power ## P ## will be the same (approximately) with reflector as without the reflector. The bare source will have a solid angle of as much as ## 4\pi ## steradians depending upon the intensity pattern that it has. (If it is spherical, it would radiate equally in all directions). The parabolic reflector will have a greatly reduced effective solid angle of beam coverage. Ideally (with 100% reflectivity and no light returning to the source from the reflector), power ## P=I*\Omega ## (where ## \Omega ## is the effective solid angle of the radiated pattern) will be the same for the bare source as for the source plus reflector. The radiance ## L ## is a constant in all of these calculations, so that in the case of conserved power ## P ##, one has ## A_1 * \Omega_1=A_2 * \Omega_2 ## where the subscript "1" is the bare source and subscript "2" is the source plus reflector. The parabolic reflector will make a narrow pattern( effective solid angle ## \Omega_2 ##), but the intensity normally would not be constant throughout the region of illumination. The last equation allows you to get a quick estimate of the size of the beam pattern (in steradians) that a reflector will provide. One can also write ## I_1*\Omega_1=I_2*\Omega_2 ## as a useful equation to see the tradeoff between intensity that the reflector generates versus the size of the beam pattern (solid angle). A larger reflector will give a higher intensity, but will necessarily generate a narrower beam.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  4. Jun 23, 2016 #3
    So if I understand correctly, the area represents the projected aperture area?
    So in my example, I said I have a coil that is 1cmx1cm in area. The coil radiates 2 W/cm^2/sr. Lets assume spherically.
    With no reflector, the radiant intensity would be 2 W/sr?
    If I have a 10 sqcm (100% reflective) reflector, the radiant intensity would be 20 W/sr?
    If I have a 100 sqcm (100% reflective) reflector, the radiant intensity would be 200 W/sr?

Now how would I compare this with a very narrow beam, like from a laser? That is usually given in W. I am usually given an approx beam pattern where I can estimate the divergence angle. Based on that I can estimate a solid angle. However then the radiant intensity is an extremely high number since the angle is so small.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted