1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does refraction of light take place?

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    how does refraction of light take place?And why does it always shift towards the normal while travelling from rarer to denser medium,why not away from normal?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2
    Re: Refraction

Did you check Wikipedia?

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Conservation of momentum.

5. Sep 9, 2010 #4

If it is conservation of momentum,then why does'nt the light bend away from the normal
    with the same angle it bends towards normal?there would also be conservation of momentum,is'nt it?

6. Sep 9, 2010 #5

Do you think diffraction is the cause of refraction?

7. Sep 9, 2010 #6
  8. Sep 9, 2010 #7

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't understand what you mean. When light enters a more optically dense medium, it refracts towards the normal. When it exits back to the less dense medium, it refracts away from the normal.

9. Sep 9, 2010 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here is as good an explanation that I know of. Read the paragraph titled "Refraction" at this link:
    http://esfscience.wordpress.com/category/a2-physics/page/2/ [Broken]​
    (You are looking for this figure:
    [PLAIN]http://esfscience.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/soldiers.gif?w=300&h=260) [Broken]

I am sure the OP meant denser in the sense of having a higher refractive index, not in the mass-per-unit-volume sense of the word.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook