Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does regularity of curves prevent "cusps"?

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    A regular curve on a manifold ##M## is a curve ##\gamma:I \to M## such that ##\dot \gamma(t) \neq 0## for any ##t \in I##. In John Lee's "Introduction to Curvature" he says that this intuitively means that we prevent the curve from having "cusps" and "kinks".

How can I see that this is the case? I.e. how could ##\dot \gamma(t) = 0## for some t lead to a "kink" or "cusp"?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

wabbit

Gold Member

It doesn't. ##\dot \gamma(t) = 0## means a stationary point and can happen just from parametrization. But cusps or kinks do require ##\dot \gamma(t) = 0##, so forbidding it ensures you get none.

##\dot \gamma(t) \neq 0## is needed for two other reasons : it ensures ##\dot \gamma(t) ## gives you the direction of the tangent vector to the curve at every point, and that the parametrization is locally one-to-one / doesn't backtrack.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  4. Feb 17, 2015 #3
    But why -- intuitively -- do cusps or kinks require ##\dot gamma = 0##?

5. Feb 17, 2015 #4

wabbit

Gold Member

One way to see it is to think of the curve as traced by a moving point at ## \gamma(t) ##; then ## \dot\gamma(t) ## is the velocity of that point. If it's not zero it has a direction. What is that direction at a kink ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook