How Does Temperature Affect the Length of a Rubber Band Under Constant Tension?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
derrickb
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


For the rubber band model, calculate the fractional change in (L-L0) that results from an increase δT in temperature, at constant tension. Express the result in terms of the length and temperature.


Homework Equations


U=cL0T
τ=bT((L-L0)/(L1-L0)); τ=tension, L1=elastic limit
d/dL(1/T)=d/dU(-τ/T)


The Attempt at a Solution


I'm sort of at a loss on this one. I've tried subbing in all sorts of equations, but can't seem to make any real progress.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
derrickb said:

Homework Statement


For the rubber band model, calculate the fractional change in (L-L0) that results from an increase δT in temperature, at constant tension. Express the result in terms of the length and temperature.


Homework Equations


U=cL0T
τ=bT((L-L0)/(L1-L0)); τ=tension, L1=elastic limit
d/dL(1/T)=d/dU(-τ/T)


The Attempt at a Solution


I'm sort of at a loss on this one. I've tried subbing in all sorts of equations, but can't seem to make any real progress.

EDIT:

By using Maxwell's 4th equation you can show that T dS = Cτ dT if τ is constant.

You can also rewrite the 1st law as dU = T dS + τ dL.

Just thinking - if we can assume an "ideal rubber band" analogously to an ideal gas, such that U is a function of T only, then dU = CL dT similar to dU = CV dT for an ideal gas.
 
Last edited: