How Does Tesla's Motor and Battery System Work?

In summary, the battery in a Tesla car powers the motor. The specs for the motor are 317 lb-ft (430 Nm) @ 0-5,000 rpm for 60 kWh battery, 362 hp (270 kW) 6,000-9,500 rpm for 85 kWh battery, and 416 hp (310 kW) 5,000-8,600 rpm for 85 kWh battery. The battery can last 200+ miles before needing to be recharged. The impact driver that Ridgid makes claims 1750 in-lbs (almost 200 Nm) of torque at 2400 rpm. It is likely that this motor and battery would not be able to move a car the size of a "Smart Car" using the impact driver
Curious007
So I'm wondering about Motor being used in Tesla Auto/Car and battery which powers it. From their website the specs are like this:

1] 302 hp (225 kW) 5,000-8,000 rpm for 60 kWh battery gives 317 lb-ft (430 Nm) @ 0-5,000 rpm
2] 362 hp (270 kW) 6,000-9,500 rpm for 85 kWh battery gives 325 lb-ft (440 Nm) @ 0-5,800 rpm
3] 416 hp (310 kW) 5,000-8,600 rpm for 85 kWh battery gives 443 lb-ft (600 Nm) @ 0-5,100 rpm

I want to know how much Current and Voltage does the Motor draws from the battery at given instance and how long would the battery would last? Can anyone explain by taking one of the example from above? They claim that the Car can drive for 200+ miles before battery juice is over.

Engineering news on Phys.org
According to this, the battery voltage is 375 V. http://www.roperld.com/science/TeslaModelS.htm

So do you know the equation that relates voltage, amperage and power? Since we don't like to just spoonfeed, can you give it a shot?

I'll give you a hint: while cruising, the motor outputs a very small fraction of its peak power.

I got closer to the answer from the Voltage of the battery, which I was not aware of. Now I have another question:
The motor peak torque output is = 317 lb-ft (430 Nm) with given parameters.
Now here [link below] is the 18 v Impact driver from Ridgid company, which claims torque of 1750 In lbs ( almost 200 Nm).
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-H...t-Driver-R86034K/202581838?N=18g#.UabSQc28rOM

The question is : Can I run a small car, like "Smart Car" size car using this motor in Impact driver?

Probably not - at what RPM does the impact driver turn?

The Li-ion batteries in the Ridgid tools come in 1.5 and 3.0 amp-hr capacities. If you get a car running with the battery and motor, it won't run for long.

The RPM = 2400. RIDGID and similar tool makers of Impact Drives claim their batteries run around 20-30 min or so.
What seems interesting to me is Torque of 1750 in-lbs at 2400 rpm generated by this small 18 V battery and this small motor, which is may be 3 inches long and 2 inch in diameter.
So in nutshell the Output from RIDGID motor and battery is 2400 RPM and 1750 in-lbs, which is almost half of Tesla motor's output. Does this make any sense or I'm blabbering?

1. It's less than 1/4.
2. Are you sure that torque occurs at peak RPM? I'd bet it doesn't.
3. Are you sure that torque is continuous? It is, after all, an impact driver.
4. Are you sure the the duration is at peak output? I'd bet it isn't.

Do you know the equation that relates torque, rpm and power? How much horsepower do you think that impact driver might deliver?

You know, you could take a shot at calculating these things and verify them instead of guessing...

Curious - you should put numbers on things.

http://www.allaboutbatteries.com/Battery-Energy.html

A battery small enough to pick up can't move a car very far.

http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1366&doc_id=238863

click the image to watch the slideshow

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Tesla's Motor and Battery?

Tesla's Motor and Battery is a revolutionary electric vehicle propulsion system created by the company Tesla Inc. It consists of an electric motor and a battery pack that work together to power the vehicle.

2. How is Tesla's Motor and Battery different from traditional gasoline engines?

Tesla's Motor and Battery uses electricity to power the vehicle, while traditional gasoline engines use combustion of fossil fuels. This makes Tesla's system much more environmentally friendly and efficient.

3. What is the range of Tesla's Motor and Battery?

The range of Tesla's Motor and Battery varies depending on the model of the vehicle. The current models have a range of 263-402 miles on a single charge. However, Tesla is constantly working on improving the battery technology to increase the range.

4. How long does it take to charge Tesla's Motor and Battery?

The charging time of Tesla's Motor and Battery also varies depending on the model of the vehicle and the type of charger being used. On average, it takes about 8-10 hours to fully charge a Tesla using a home charger. However, Tesla also has superchargers that can charge the battery to 80% in just 30 minutes.

5. Can Tesla's Motor and Battery be used in other vehicles?

Currently, Tesla's Motor and Battery are only used in Tesla vehicles. However, the company has announced plans to share its technology with other manufacturers in the future. Additionally, some companies have already started using Tesla's battery technology in their own electric vehicles.