How Does the Angle of Friction Relate to the Coefficient of Friction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 25K views
rshalloo
Messages
48
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Just a proof that I am having touble with
State and prove the relationship between the coefficient of friction and the angle of friction


The Attempt at a Solution


I wouldn't know where to start, I know that
(the reaction force X coefficient of friction) = Friction force
And i would geuss that as the angle to the ground of something on the ground increased the friction force would increase. But I am not entirely sure how to prove or (or if I am beingf honest what I am proving)

any help would be greatly appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
By definition, the angle of friction is the angle between the normal force and the resultant of the normal and friction forces at limiting equilibrium. You'll need to draw a sketch and use some basic trig to find the relationship between the coefficient of friction and the angle of friction. (The angle of friction is the same as the angle of an incline at which point an object starts to slide).