How does the diffraction grating in Canadian currency work?

In summary, the conversation is about creating diffraction gratings for a university project. The speaker's supervisor showed them a Canadian note that uses a laser to shine a number on the other side. The speaker is hoping to produce something similar for their project, but with their initials instead of numbers. Another person suggests using computer-generated holography with a 600dpi printer and scaling it down photographically. The original speaker also mentions a company called Innovia Security, which has technologies related to this type of project.
Paddyster
Hi,
This is my first post so apologies if I'm not clear enough or if I am posting in the wrong place. I am doing my 3rd year project at university and I am creating diffraction gratings. My supervisor shown me a Canadian note and if you shine a laser through the maple leaf it will shine on the other side as the number value associated with the note. I was hoping to produce something similar for my project but for it to emit my initials instead of numbers. Does anybody know how I'd go about this?
Kind regards.

Science news on Phys.org
Paddyster said:
Hi,
This is my first post so apologies if I'm not clear enough or if I am posting in the wrong place. I am doing my 3rd year project at university and I am creating diffraction gratings. My supervisor shown me a Canadian note and if you shine a laser through the maple leaf it will shine on the other side as the number value associated with the note. I was hoping to produce something similar for my project but for it to emit my initials instead of numbers. Does anybody know how I'd go about this?
Kind regards.

It's a transmission diffractive optical element: because it's a phase grating, not an amplitude grating, you can't (conventionally) print one. The company, Innovia Security, apparently has a whole suite of related technologies:

https://www.innoviasecurity.com/uploads/pdfs/Security-Features-Reference-Guide-EN---Final.pdf
https://cclsecure.com/uploads/pdfs/Specimen-Issue-1-EN-web.pdf
http://demo.icpress.ru/en/demo/countries/47/single_banknote/12004.html

1. How is the diffraction grating in Canadian currency created?

The diffraction grating in Canadian currency is created through a process called hologram stamping. This involves using a special laser to create a pattern on a metal plate, which is then used to stamp the holographic design onto the currency.

2. What is the purpose of the diffraction grating in Canadian currency?

The diffraction grating serves as a security feature in Canadian currency, as it is difficult to replicate and helps to prevent counterfeiting. It also adds a unique aesthetic element to the currency, making it easily recognizable.

3. How does the diffraction grating prevent counterfeiting?

The diffraction grating works by creating a unique pattern of light that cannot be reproduced by traditional printing methods. This makes it difficult for counterfeiters to replicate and helps to identify authentic currency from fake ones.

4. What is the principle behind the diffraction grating in Canadian currency?

The diffraction grating works on the principle of light diffraction, which is the bending of light as it passes through a narrow opening or a series of closely spaced lines. In the case of Canadian currency, the holographic design is created using many closely spaced lines, resulting in a unique pattern of light when viewed from different angles.

5. Is the diffraction grating in Canadian currency visible to the naked eye?

Yes, the diffraction grating in Canadian currency is visible to the naked eye. However, the design may appear different depending on the angle at which it is viewed. This is why the diffraction grating is often referred to as a "hidden image" or "hidden rainbow" feature.