Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does the Earth produces it's own magnetic field?

1. Jun 19, 2014 #1
    I read an articles that the convection of the inner core of the earth which is assume to be liquid metal produces earth's magnetic field, is this true? Has scientists did a demo?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jun 19, 2014 #3
  5. Jun 21, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. The Earth is quite large.

6. Sep 24, 2015 #5
    Differences in temperature, pressure and composition within the outer core cause convection currents in the molten metal as cool, dense matter sinks whilst warm, less dense matter rises. The Coriolis force, resulting from the Earth’s spin, also causes swirling whirlpools.

This flow of liquid iron generates electric currents, which in turn produce magnetic fields. Charged metals passing through these fields go on to create electric currents of their own, and so the cycle continues. This self-sustaining loop is known as the geodynamo.

7. Sep 25, 2015 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

@Neon, when you quote published material, as you have done above, you need to provide a citation, a reference to where you found the material. In some contexts you would be considered guilty of plagiarism.

I found what you copied here: http://www.physics.org/article-questions.asp?id=64, in the 5th and 6th paragraphs.

8. Sep 25, 2015 #7
    Mark i did just didnt have time to put the reference as my battery was 1 % and i just posted it. Afterwards i for got about it.Sorry

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook