How does the fraction x^2/(x^2-1) simplify to 1 + 1/(x^2-1)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Factoring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
143
This is a small step in a larger Calc problem. There's 2 problems in a row where this same arrangement popped up. I have a feeling I'm forgetting something basic. How does [tex]{\frac{{x^2 }}{{x^2 - 1}}}[/tex] become [tex]1 + \frac{1}{{x^2 - 1}}[/tex] ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use polynomial long division to divide the numerator by the denominator. This gives you quotient, 1, and a remainder, 1. Just like 5/4=1+1/4.
 
Last edited:
add and subtract 1 from the numerator

then we get


[tex]\frac{x^2}{x^2 -1} = \frac{x^2 - 1 + 1}{x^2 -1} = \frac{x^2-1}{x^2-1} + \frac{1}{x^2 -1} = 1 + \frac{1}{x^2 + 1}[/tex]
 
2 great answers. I knew it wasn't hard, but I'd have never come up with either of these on my own. Thanks!