How does the magnetization of an atom change at its center?

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetization of a coaxial cable filled with magnetic material, with a given formula for calculating the magnetization at a certain radius. The question arises of what the magnetization would be at the center of the atom, to which the formula does not apply. Suggestions are made for modifying the formula to make it applicable at r=0 and considerations are made about the current used in the formula.
Lord33

Homework Statement

We have coaxial cabel with radius R and R0=3R filled with magnetic.Magnetization J(r)=(r3-R3)/(2R3)*I/(2*pi*r).What is the magnitization if r=0(center of atom)?And what a magnetization direction of atom?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think what magnitization in center of atom = -inf , but it is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for the magnetization works in a limited range (for r) only. Can you find that range?
You can modify the formula a bit to make it applicable at r=0.

I understand what we must take radius of atom but how i can modified a formula if r<ra?I find limit and get -inf it is wrong.I know that J=∑P/ΔV.

You don't need the radius of an atom.

Your formula has an I in it. What is that? A current, sure, but a current of what? Every cable in the universe? Which current exactly do you have to consider in that formula, and is it the same current for every place?

Related to How does the magnetization of an atom change at its center?

1. What is meant by "magnetization of atom"?

The magnetization of an atom refers to the alignment of its magnetic moments or the strength of its magnetic field. It is a measure of the atom's response to an external magnetic field.

2. How does an atom become magnetized?

An atom can become magnetized when its electrons align their spins in the same direction. This can occur naturally in some materials or can be induced by an external magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnetization of an atom?

The magnetization of an atom is affected by factors such as the material's atomic structure, the strength and direction of the external magnetic field, and the temperature of the material.

4. How is the magnetization of an atom measured?

The magnetization of an atom can be measured using various techniques such as magnetometry, magnetic resonance, and electron spin resonance. These methods allow for the detection and quantification of the magnetic field produced by the atom.

5. What are the applications of magnetization of atoms?

The magnetization of atoms has various applications in science and technology, such as in data storage, medical imaging, and magnetic sensors. It is also essential in understanding the properties of magnetic materials and their behavior in different environments.