How does the phase noise of the LO effect IF accuracy?

In summary, you should calculate the total rms phase error, which describes the "average" deviation of the system. This will be the same as the LO phase noise.
csopi
Hi,
I have a roughly 1.1 GHz signal to be downconverted to 100 MHz by mixing it with a 1 GHz local oscillator. I am not sure how to choose the performance of the LO.

In particular: let's assume the LO has a jitter of 100 fs rms. At 1 GHz this corresponds to a frequency error of 100 kHz. Does this mean that after mixing I will have an error of 100 kHz? If yes, how to improve the performance?

Engineering news on Phys.org
csopi said:
Hi,
I have a roughly 1.1 GHz signal to be downconverted to 100 MHz by mixing it with a 1 GHz local oscillator. I am not sure how to choose the performance of the LO.

In particular: let's assume the LO has a jitter of 100 fs rms. At 1 GHz this corresponds to a frequency error of 100 kHz. Does this mean that after mixing I will have an error of 100 kHz? If yes, how to improve the performance?
Jitter is the specification usable for very high-bandwidth (comparable to LO frequency) signals which is likely not you case.
In case of imperfect oscillator you are going to observe your output frequency randomly drifting as you described above, but the drift amount is poorly constrained by "jitter" specification. You should use "phase noise" specification instead. Usually, IF frequency drift is reduced by PLL circuit which reduce low-frequency components of noise by stabilizing local oscillator with the help of crystal or atomic oscillator operating at lower frequency.

Very simplistically, point of phase noise curve crossing the 0dB line indicates your oscillator expected frequency deviation.

Last edited:
trurle said:
Jitter is the specification usable for very high-bandwidth (comparable to LO frequency) signals which is likely not you case.
In case of imperfect oscillator you are going to observe your output frequency randomly drifting as you described above, but the drift amount is poorly constrained by "jitter" specification. You should use "phase noise" specification instead. Usually, IF frequency drift is reduced by PLL circuit which reduce low-frequency components of noise by stabilizing local oscillator with the help of crystal or atomic oscillator operating at lower frequency.

Very simplistically, point of phase noise curve crossing the 0dB line indicates your oscillator expected frequency deviation.

Many thanks! I have looked into phase noise, and now I understand that I should calculate the total rms phase error, which describes the "average" deviation of the system. And here comes the problem: how to calculate this? I have found various tutorials on manufacturers' website, most of them is either incomplete or upright erroneous. Could you please help me performing this calculation for the following oscillator? Let's say we have a noise of -120, -150, -165 dBc/Hz at 100, 1k, and 10k Hz away from carrier. Manufacturers do not seem to further elaborate on the issue, but I am not sure how to derive a meaningful value out of this...

In your particular case, you likely will see linewidth about 0.1 Hz (assuming worst case random-walk slope 40 dB/decade below 100 Hz). Your drift for 1 day will be at least 10 Hz even in case of perfectly stable temperature.

csopi said:
... let's assume the LO has a jitter of 100 fs rms. At 1 GHz this corresponds to a frequency error of 100 kHz.

If we assume the LO has jitter of 100fs rms, this means that periodically your LO will be 100fs rms ahead or behind, in time, an ideal reference oscillator. But you have not specified how often this will occur. Once a day? Once per millisecond? Jitter has both an amplitude (fs, ps, UI etc), and a frequency, and you are not specifying the freq (and I'm not sure where you are getting the 100KHz from).

csopi said:
Could you please help me performing this calculation for the following oscillator? Let's say we have a noise of -120, -150, -165 dBc/Hz at 100, 1k, and 10k Hz away from carrier. Manufacturers do not seem to further elaborate on the issue, but I am not sure how to derive a meaningful value out of this...

The phase noise at the output of the mixer (dBc/Hz) will be the same as the LO phase noise (dBc/Hz). Is this what you were looking for?

Last edited:

1. What is phase noise and how does it affect IF accuracy?

Phase noise is a measure of the random fluctuations in the phase of a signal. In the context of LO (local oscillator) phase noise, it refers to the uncertainty in the timing of the LO signal. This uncertainty can cause errors in the intermediate frequency (IF) signal, leading to decreased accuracy in the measurement or communication system.

2. How does the phase noise of the LO impact the accuracy of the IF signal?

The phase noise of the LO can introduce phase jitter, which is the variation in the phase of the LO signal over time. This jitter can cause the IF signal to deviate from its expected phase, resulting in errors in the measurement or communication system. The higher the phase noise of the LO, the larger the phase jitter and the greater the impact on IF accuracy.

3. What factors contribute to the phase noise of the LO?

The phase noise of the LO can be affected by various factors such as the quality of the LO source, the stability of the LO frequency, and the noise present in the LO circuit. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and vibration can also impact the phase noise of the LO.

4. How can the phase noise of the LO be minimized?

There are several techniques that can be used to minimize the phase noise of the LO. These include using high-quality components in the LO circuit, implementing filtering and isolation techniques, and optimizing the design of the LO circuit to reduce noise sources. Additionally, careful selection and placement of the LO source can also help reduce phase noise.

5. Can the phase noise of the LO be completely eliminated?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate the phase noise of the LO. However, it can be minimized to a level that has negligible impact on the accuracy of the IF signal. This requires careful design and selection of components, as well as proper calibration and maintenance of the LO circuit.