How does the presence of a diode affect the average power in a circuit?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Icetray
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Average Diodes Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Icetray
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Average power and diodes.

Hi,

I have this question. If a diode were connected to a circuit with an alternating current and there was a resistor was connected to it, will the average power change? For example, if we take the following values,

V max = 6.0 V
Resistance = 100 ohms,

the Average power will be 0.18 W and the max power 0.36W. When we plot the graph with respect to power dissipated by the resistor with a diode connected, we get a sinusoidal graph with it's second half cycle at a null value and it's first half at a peak value of 3.6W (assuming that the diode is forward biased at the start).

I'm not very sure how to calculate max power using graphs; but is the average power still 0.18W?

I thank you for your help in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyway, I think I solved it. Thanking the Half Rectified wave to be H and the original unrectified full wave to be F, the mean power of the half rectified wave should be half that of the full wave.

Therefore,

<[tex]P_{H}[/tex]> = 1/2<[tex]P_{F}[/tex]>
= 1/2([tex]P_{o}[/tex]/2)
= 1/4 [tex]P_{o}[/tex]

where [tex]P_{o}[/tex] is the max power.
 
Last edited: