How Does the Total Derivative of Gibbs Free Energy Change in a Closed System?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Lindsayyyy
Messages
215
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone

Homework Statement



Let's say I want to do the totale drivative of the Gibbs free energy in dependent of: volume, temperature, amount of substance and surface. And let's say afterwards we have a closed system where the temperature is constant. How does the total derivative change?



Homework Equations


-


The Attempt at a Solution



I guess I know that the amount of substance doesn't change in a closed system, so my dn=0 and this part gets lost, also dT=0. But I'm not sure about the surface, does that change aswell? I think the Volume can't be disregarded.

Thanks for your help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If all you are given is that the temperature is constant, I would see no reason to assume that volume or "surface" are constant.

(What, exactly, do you mean by "surface"? All other variables you mention are numbers.)