How does this have 24 transistors?

• Thread starter jaus tail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistors
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of transistors needed for a circuit being taught by the professor. The speaker counted and found that there are 22 transistors, but there may be 2 more needed for a Q' output. They suggest asking the professor for clarification, but mention that they missed her class and will have to contact her through email. The possibility of adding an inverter to isolate the load is also mentioned. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing concern about the professor questioning their absence from class.
jaus tail
TL;DR Summary
Master slave based edge triggered register
1569135063532.png

Our professor is teaching this circuit and she mentioned there are 24 transistors. But I counted and it comes out to be 22
T1 to T4 needs 2 (transistor) * 4 = 8 transistors
Each inverter needs 2 transistors. so 7 inverters need 14 transistors.
total 22 transistors.
Unless we're also creating a Q' in the output, so that'll need 2 more transistors. But that's not mentioned in the circuit.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why don't you ask her, showing your calculations?

Likes jaus tail
Borek said:
Why don't you ask her, showing your calculations?
Because I missed her class and I saw this in her video lecture. And she is in another campus. Her lectures are conducted online.

You can always try an email :smile:

Borek said:
You can always try an email :smile:
Then she'll ask me why I missed her class, and I was at the gym at that time.

jaus tail said:
Unless we're also creating a Q' in the output, so that'll need 2 more transistors.
I think that is probably the answer. We'll always be needing complementary outputs. There is a Q’ available in the internals, but loading that point may upset internal switching/timing performance. An additional inverter will isolate the load.

Likes jaus tail
jaus tail said:
Then she'll ask me why I missed her class, and I was at the gym at that time.
Would she not believe that you re-read your notes and only thought of the question later?
Or do you feel too guilty? :wink:

Likes jaus tail

1. How do transistors work?

Transistors are electronic devices that are used to amplify or switch electronic signals. They consist of three layers of a semiconductor material, typically silicon, with different electrical properties. By manipulating the flow of electrons between these layers, transistors can control the flow of electricity and perform various functions in electronic circuits.

2. Why are transistors important?

Transistors are crucial components in modern electronics. They allow for the miniaturization of electronic devices, making them smaller, faster, and more efficient. Transistors are used in a wide range of applications, from computers and smartphones to medical equipment and space exploration.

3. How does the number of transistors affect the performance of a device?

The number of transistors in a device is directly related to its processing power and speed. The more transistors a device has, the more operations it can perform simultaneously, resulting in faster and more efficient performance. This is why the number of transistors is often used as a measure of a device's computing power.

4. What is the significance of 24 transistors?

The number of transistors in a device can vary greatly, depending on its complexity and purpose. 24 transistors may seem like a small number, but it can still perform a significant amount of processing. For example, the first microprocessor, the Intel 4004, had only 2,300 transistors, yet it revolutionized the computing industry.

5. How do scientists determine the number of transistors in a device?

The number of transistors in a device is determined by its design and the purpose it serves. Scientists and engineers carefully plan and design electronic circuits to ensure that they have the necessary number of transistors to perform their intended functions. The number of transistors is also often listed in the device's specifications or can be counted by examining the circuitry under a microscope.