What Pressure is Needed for a Specific Area of Tire Contact?

In summary: but for this one, you just need to remember that the weight is equally supported by the four inflated tires and you can just use the pressure inside the tires to calculate the weight.
Nghi

Homework Statement

The weight of your 1205 kg car is supported equally by its four tires, each inflated to a gauge pressure of 35.7 lb/in.^2.

a) What is the area of contact each tire makes with the road? (in m^2)
b) What gauge pressure is required to give an area of contact of 113 cm^2 for each tire? (in lb/in^2)

Homework Equations

Pgauge = P - Patmosphere

Pressure = Force/Area

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually went to my professor for help on this one, hehe. He told me that since the weight is equally supported, I just had to make sure that the force is divided by four. So I did that. First I found the real 'P'.

35.7 = P - 14.7
P = 50.4 lb/in^2

Since they wanted the area of contact in meters, I decided to convert the pressure into N/m^2.

50.4 lb/in^2 x (1.01e5 N/m^2 / 14.7 lb/in^2) = 346285.7143 N/m^2 (we're going to let that equal to X to make it simpler)

Now that I had the pressure and the force, all I should do is plug it into the definition of pressure.

P = F/A
X = (1205 x 9.81 / 4) / A
A = 2955.2625 / X
A = 0.00853 m^2

This isn't the answer, though, and I'm confused as heck. This was how my professor explained it to me, and it's wrong. o_o

For part b, I should theoretically just work backwards. First, I convert cm^2 to m^2.

113 cm^2 x (1 m^2/10000 cm^2) = 0.0113 m^2

P = F/A
P = 2955.2625/0.0113
P = 261527.6549 N/m^2 x (14.7 lb/in^2 / 1.01e5 N/m^2) = 38.064 lb/in^2

Pgauge = P - Patmosphere
Pgauge = 38.064 - 14.7
Pgauge = 23.364 lb/in^2

This is also the wrong answer. :/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A thought on this, I may be completely wrong:

You use the absolute pressure P for your calculation? But the atmosphere is also pressing on the outside of your tires. Maybe the solution is to just use gauge pressure? I don't know.

katchum beat me to it: your tires already have one atmosphere of pressure inside them when they're "flat". It's the difference between the pressure inside and outside of the tire wall that matters; the gauge pressure is what supports the car's weight.

asd;falsflasldf;

I hate myself so much sometimes. :( But thank you so much for the help. Seriously. I was ready to punch myself in the eyeball from this problem.

Last edited:
Nghi said:
I hate myself so much sometimes. :( But thank you so much for the help. Seriously. I was ready to punch myself in the eyeball from this problem.

Don't beat yourself up over it: the students I work with had a similar problem a week or so ago and I had to stop and think a moment as to whether it was the absolute or the gauge pressure that mattered. Different problems may require the use of one or the other...

1. What is gauge pressure of car tires?

Gauge pressure of car tires refers to the measurement of pressure inside the tires, typically in pounds per square inch (psi). It is important to maintain the correct gauge pressure in tires to ensure safe and efficient driving.

2. Why is gauge pressure important for car tires?

Gauge pressure is important for car tires because it affects the overall performance and safety of the vehicle. Properly inflated tires can improve fuel efficiency, handling, and braking, while underinflated or overinflated tires can lead to accidents and damage to the tires.

3. How often should I check the gauge pressure of my car tires?

It is recommended to check the gauge pressure of car tires at least once a month. However, it is also important to check the pressure before long trips or when the weather changes significantly, as these factors can affect the pressure in the tires.

4. What is the ideal gauge pressure for car tires?

The ideal gauge pressure for car tires varies depending on the make and model of the vehicle. It is usually indicated in the owner's manual or on a sticker on the driver's side door jamb. In general, the recommended pressure ranges from 30-35 psi for most cars.

5. How do I check and adjust the gauge pressure of my car tires?

To check the gauge pressure of car tires, you will need a tire pressure gauge. Remove the cap from the tire valve and place the gauge over the valve stem. The gauge will provide a reading of the pressure. To adjust the pressure, use an air compressor or take the car to a gas station with an air pump. Add or release air as needed to reach the recommended pressure.