How does wavelength change with speed?

In summary, the de Broglie wavelength of a particle decreases as its velocity increases, as shown in the equation λ = h/mv. This was initially misunderstood as the opposite, but it is in fact correct. The wavelength of a baseball can also be calculated using this equation.
Jarfi
I thought I heard the fact that when you make a particle faster it's wavelength get's bigger, and if we accellerate a baseball enough it's wavelength goes visible? but is that just a misunderstanding and opposite... because one can see in the broglie wavelength equation:

λ = h/mv that obviously as v(velocity/speed) increases... the wavelenght becomes smaller... right? wasn't it all just a misunderstanding on my half?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jarfi said:
I thought I heard the fact that when you make a particle faster it's wavelength get's bigger, and if we accellerate a baseball enough it's wavelength goes visible? but is that just a misunderstanding and opposite... because one can see in the broglie wavelength equation:

λ = h/mv that obviously as v(velocity/speed) increases... the wavelenght becomes smaller... right? wasn't it all just a misunderstanding on my half?

UH ... what is the wavelength of a baseball?

Yes, the de Broglie wavelength gets shorter as the particles momentum increases.

DaleSpam said:
Yes, the de Broglie wavelength gets shorter as the particles momentum increases.

ah just wanted to make sure, thanks

I can confirm that your understanding is correct. The relationship between wavelength and speed is inversely proportional, meaning that as speed increases, the wavelength decreases. This is evident in the de Broglie wavelength equation, where the speed (v) is in the denominator. Therefore, as the speed increases, the wavelength becomes smaller.

It is important to note that this relationship holds true for particles with mass, such as a baseball. However, for massless particles like photons, their speed (c) is constant and therefore their wavelength is directly proportional to their frequency (λ = c/f).

In the context of the statement you mentioned, it is possible that the idea of a particle's wavelength becoming larger at higher speeds was a misunderstanding. It is important to always refer to reliable sources and equations in understanding scientific concepts.

1. How does the wavelength of light change as it travels through different mediums?

As light travels through different mediums, its speed changes. According to the formula c = fλ, where c is the speed of light, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength, the speed of light is constant. This means that if the speed of light changes, then either the frequency or the wavelength must also change. In most cases, as light travels from one medium to another, its wavelength changes but its frequency remains constant.

2. What is the relationship between wavelength and speed in the electromagnetic spectrum?

In the electromagnetic spectrum, there is an inverse relationship between wavelength and speed. This means that as the wavelength increases, the speed decreases. This can be seen in the different types of electromagnetic waves, where shorter wavelengths, such as gamma rays, have higher speeds than longer wavelengths, such as radio waves.

3. Does the speed of light always change when it travels through different materials?

No, the speed of light does not always change when it travels through different materials. The speed of light only changes when it travels through a medium with a different refractive index, which is a measure of how much the medium can slow down the speed of light. For example, light travels faster through air than it does through water, so its wavelength changes as it moves from air to water.

4. How does the wavelength change when an object is moving towards or away from an observer?

When an object is moving towards an observer, the wavelength of light emitted from that object appears shorter. This is known as the Doppler effect. On the other hand, when an object is moving away from an observer, the wavelength appears longer. This is because the speed of light remains constant, but the motion of the object changes the perceived wavelength.

5. Can the speed of light be altered?

No, the speed of light is considered to be a fundamental constant in physics and cannot be altered. It is the maximum speed at which all energy, matter, and information in the universe can travel. Some theories suggest that the speed of light may have been different in the early universe, but it is currently believed to be constant and unchangeable.