1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How exactly do i get fnet of the object in this question..

1. Jul 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This was an example question done by my teacher but i don't understand how he got the fnet of an object like the yellow part. thanks first time using the forums sorry if i didnt tag this correctly
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you be more specific about what it is that you do not understand?
    For the net force on B, do you understand the preceding line, giving -1.25 x10-7N? If your question is why that changed into -1x10-7N, I don't know. Looks like a mistake.
    There's no working shown for obtaining the other two net forces. How would you calculate those?

4. Jul 15, 2015 #3
    yeah like how would you solve the question after the gravitational force you get for Fa and Fc. i got lost after the example like i have no idea how he got the fnet of each object. idk how to calculate the fnet... isnt it fnet=ma but what would that do.

5. Jul 15, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Each object experiences a pull from each of the other two, as per the inverse square law formula used.
    The net force on B will be the difference between the forces exerted by A and C, since those are pulling in opposite directions.
    Your teacher has omitted the calculation for the attractive force between A and C. You will need this to find the net forces on A and C.

Can you calculate the attractive force between A and C?
    How would you combine this with forces already calculated to find the net force on A?

6. Jul 15, 2015 #5
    how exactly do you calculate the fnet for like the object a and c. the mass is 2.. and is the fa suppose to give me the acceleration?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  7. Jul 15, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

One step at a time. Answer my question about the attractive force between A and C. For this purpose, ignore B.

After that, list the forces acting on A and which way they act. Do they work together or oppose each other?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted