How far behind the pinhole should you place the viewing screen?

  • Thread starter Thread starter yo_man
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Screen
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 9K views
yo_man
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


You want to photograph a circular diffraction pattern whose central maximum has a diameter of 1.0 cm. You have a helium-neon laser (lambda=633 nm) and a 0.12-mm-diameter pinhole.
How far behind the pinhole should you place the viewing screen?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not understanding how to go about doing this/starting this question
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Half angular width of the central maximum = lambda/d, where d is the slit width.
And half angle = radius of the central maximum/distance of the screen.
 
so I do 633 nm/1 cm --> of course I will convert to uniform units
and half angle is 0.5 cm/x

but how do I use these?
and should i be using the 1 cm or the .12 mm?
 
so I did that and it's not right. so then I tried using 0.12 x 10^-3 instead of 0.06x 10^3
and I solved for x, and it's not right...