How fast do you need to cycle to simulate bicycle tire inflation

In summary, the question is about determining the speed needed to prevent riding on the rims of a bike after having a flat tire. The calculation involves considering the force on the tire and equating it to the centripetal force, which can be determined by using a fraction of the tire's mass. However, this approach does not take into account aerodynamics and may not give a completely accurate result.
Sam VdA
My question comes from a moment when I was riding my bike. I had a flat tire. My question then was how fast do i need to cycle so that i don't ride on my rim's anymore. I tride calculating this with the force that i put on the tire (15kg+70kg= mass of the bike and I)*g= 833,85 N that devided by 2 becaus I ride on 2 tires.=416,925N this force needs to be opposite to the centripetal force and than i would have an 'inflated' tire .This means that Fc= m*ω²*r but in this formula the mass is a point and here the tire is a point so which formula do I need?

Likes OmCheeto and Chestermiller
Physics news on Phys.org
The mass of the tire patch with ground contact.

A.T. said:
The mass of the tire patch with ground contact.
So I can see it as a Point mass? but using a small bit of the tire as the mass in my formula and not the whole tire

Sam VdA said:
So I can see it as a Point mass? but using a small bit of the tire as the mass in my formula and not the whole tire
Yes. How much of the tire depends on how much deformation you allow. But this is more complicated.

Sam VdA said:
I don't think that a point mass is involved (in fact it doesn't work unless you consider some finite orbiting mass). You have a sector of the tyre that will contribute to the force against the road because there is some stiffness in the tyre case. If the mass to consider is, say 5% of the mass of the tyre case, it gives you something to work with. (You need a value for this mass) All you need to do is to equate the centripetal force on this mass, to the weight of (half or some fraction of) the bike and rider. It would at least give you some idea of the tangential velocity involved.

Not having done any sums, I suspect that the necessary speed would mean that aerodynamics would be more significant in the total vertical forces involved.

1. How does cycling simulate bicycle tire inflation?

Cycling simulates bicycle tire inflation by using the motion of the pedals and wheels to push air into the tire. As the pedals turn, the tire rotates and the valve stem compresses the air, increasing the pressure inside the tire.

2. What speed do you need to cycle at to simulate tire inflation?

The exact speed needed to simulate tire inflation will vary depending on factors such as tire size, tire pressure, and the type of bicycle being used. However, in general, a speed of at least 10-15 mph is recommended for adequate inflation.

3. Can you simulate tire inflation by cycling slowly?

Yes, it is possible to simulate tire inflation by cycling slowly. However, the slower the speed, the longer it will take to fully inflate the tire. It is recommended to maintain a speed of at least 10-15 mph for efficient tire inflation.

4. Is there a minimum speed needed to simulate tire inflation?

Yes, there is a minimum speed needed to simulate tire inflation. This speed will vary depending on factors such as tire size, tire pressure, and the type of bicycle being used. However, a speed of at least 10-15 mph is recommended for adequate inflation.

5. Is there a maximum speed for simulating tire inflation?

There is no specific maximum speed for simulating tire inflation, but it is generally not necessary to cycle at high speeds for efficient inflation. It is recommended to maintain a speed of 10-15 mph for efficient inflation, but going faster than this will not significantly improve the inflation process.