Static analysis of bicycle frame - Need some clarification

In summary, Daniel wants to analyze a bicycle's frame statically from a vertical fall. He does not understand how the suspension dampens the fall, so he plans to subtract forces and use the abundant force. However, he mistakes forces with energy and does not consider the dampening effect.
DanielSu
Hey,
I am interesting in analyzing a bicycle's frame statically from a vertical fall of x metres, this after using the energy principle i get that the force F = mv^2/r, where v = sqrt(2*g*h), r is the deformation of the bicycle at its contact point and m is total mass from the cycle and cyclist. The only unknown i have is r, which i assume to be the suspension travel (there is one at the front and one in the rear) and i use the linkage to get the correct travel at the contact point.

The issue i find is that when i use this formula i do not consider the "damping" effect that the suspension has during its travel, i can of course do some backwards-engineering and use the knowledge of my spring constant and calculate at what height will the suspension reach the bottom but even then will i not take in consideration at how the suspension has dampened the fall.

My first idea was to simply subtract forces and use the abundant force from maxing out the suspension and use this in my static analysis, however it seems like i confuse forces with energy by doing this.

For my analysis i use Ansys btw.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DanielSu. Welcome to PF!

Your question, I am afraid, is incomprehensible. If you wish others to help you with a problem you have to state the problem clearly. You also have to actually show us what you have done to solve the problem.

AM

You're right Andrew, i will delete this thread and repost a new (better) one If i find the time, i think by just writing this thread i made stuff clear in my own head (and things unclear in yours).

There is no shame in asking for help! If writing this the way you have makes you think you have made it clear in your mind, that should be a bit of a red flag. Feel free to ask for help - you would be surprised how kind and helpful PF can be!
AM

Likes berkeman

1. What is static analysis and why is it important for bicycle frames?

Static analysis is a method of evaluating the structural integrity and strength of a bicycle frame without subjecting it to external forces. It involves using mathematical equations and computer simulations to assess the frame's ability to withstand loads and stresses during normal usage. This is important because it helps ensure the safety and performance of the bicycle, as well as identifying potential design flaws that could lead to failure.

2. What factors are considered in static analysis of a bicycle frame?

There are several factors that are taken into account during static analysis of a bicycle frame. These include the materials used, the geometry and dimensions of the frame, and the expected loads and stresses that the frame will experience during normal use. The analysis also considers the different types of forces that act on the frame, such as tension, compression, and bending.

3. How is static analysis of a bicycle frame performed?

Static analysis of a bicycle frame is typically done using computer-aided engineering (CAE) software. The frame's geometry and dimensions are inputted into the software, along with the material properties and the expected loads and stresses. The software then uses mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate the behavior of the frame under different conditions and provides visual representations of the stresses and deformations that occur.

4. What are some common issues that can be identified through static analysis of a bicycle frame?

Static analysis can help identify a variety of issues with a bicycle frame, such as weak points in the frame's design, areas that are prone to stress concentration, and potential failure points. It can also reveal if the frame is too heavy or if certain areas of the frame are experiencing excessive stress, which could lead to premature failure.

5. Are there any limitations to static analysis of a bicycle frame?

While static analysis is a valuable tool for evaluating the strength and safety of a bicycle frame, it does have some limitations. For example, it cannot account for the effects of fatigue or long-term wear and tear on the frame. Additionally, the accuracy of the analysis depends on the quality of the input data and assumptions made during the simulation.