Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How fast does the earth spin around its axis?

1. May 27, 2009 #1
    The question that really troubles me is how fast the Earth spins around its axis?
    I was wondering that if the earth spins really fast then why are the days slow.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2009 #2
    It generally spins around 360 degrees per day ... not too fast, at least not compared to a spinning top.

4. May 27, 2009 #3
    so it spins around at a minmum speed?

5. May 27, 2009 #4
    um .... I'm not sure what you mean by "minimum". That's not the slowest angular speed possible (the Moon spins once per 28 days, approximately). If you just mean "slow speed", well, then I'd ask "slow compared to what?"

In any case, the Earth's rotational rate does vary slightly over time, but for most practical purposes, you can say that it spins once per day, i.e. 360 degrees in 24 hours, or 15 degrees per hour, or .25 degrees per minute.

6. May 27, 2009 #5
    The earth travels at abought 1000 miles per hour at the equator.

7. May 27, 2009 #6

Dale

Staff: Mentor

[nitpick]that is 360 degrees per sidereal day, not solar day[/nitpick]

8. May 27, 2009 #7
    ha ha ... yes, indeed, and I love the [nitpick] tags! ;-)

Of course, I could claim that that's what I meant by "around 360 degrees" ... but I won't.

9. May 27, 2009 #8

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Whew, glad you didn't take offense :smile:. I know nitpicking can be obnoxious.

10. May 27, 2009 #9
    Only when people forget the [nitpick] tags!!

11. May 27, 2009 #10

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you did use [nitpick] tags, so you're in the clear!

I think, for the purposes of this thread, saying that the Earth spins roughly 1 revolution per day is sufficient :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook