How fast does the earth spin around its axis?

In summary, the Earth spins around its axis at a rate of approximately 360 degrees per day, which is equivalent to 15 degrees per hour or 0.25 degrees per minute. While this may not seem fast compared to other objects, it is the fastest speed at which the Earth can rotate without causing significant disruptions. The Earth's rotational rate does vary slightly over time, but for most practical purposes, it can be considered to spin once per day. Additionally, the Earth's rotation speed is not constant and can vary depending on factors such as location and time of year.
angak001
The question that really troubles me is how fast the Earth spins around its axis?
I was wondering that if the Earth spins really fast then why are the days slow.

Physics news on Phys.org
It generally spins around 360 degrees per day ... not too fast, at least not compared to a spinning top.

so it spins around at a minmum speed?

um ... I'm not sure what you mean by "minimum". That's not the slowest angular speed possible (the Moon spins once per 28 days, approximately). If you just mean "slow speed", well, then I'd ask "slow compared to what?"

In any case, the Earth's rotational rate does vary slightly over time, but for most practical purposes, you can say that it spins once per day, i.e. 360 degrees in 24 hours, or 15 degrees per hour, or .25 degrees per minute.

The Earth travels at abought 1000 miles per hour at the equator.

belliott4488 said:
It generally spins around 360 degrees per day
[nitpick]that is 360 degrees per sidereal day, not solar day[/nitpick]

DaleSpam said:
[nitpick]that is 360 degrees per sidereal day, not solar day[/nitpick]
ha ha ... yes, indeed, and I love the [nitpick] tags! ;-)

Of course, I could claim that that's what I meant by "around 360 degrees" ... but I won't.

Whew, glad you didn't take offense :smile:. I know nitpicking can be obnoxious.

DaleSpam said:
Only when people forget the [nitpick] tags!

DaleSpam said:

Well, you did use [nitpick] tags, so you're in the clear!

I think, for the purposes of this thread, saying that the Earth spins roughly 1 revolution per day is sufficient :smile:

1. How fast does the earth spin around its axis?

The earth spins at a constant speed of approximately 1,037 miles per hour (1,670 kilometers per hour) at the equator.

2. Does the earth's rotation speed change?

No, the earth's rotation speed remains constant, but it does experience slight variations due to factors such as the moon's gravitational pull and atmospheric conditions.

3. How long does it take for the earth to complete one full rotation?

The earth takes approximately 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4 seconds to complete one full rotation, also known as a sidereal day.

4. Does the earth's rotation affect time?

Yes, the earth's rotation is the basis for the concept of time. One full rotation of the earth is equivalent to one day, which is divided into 24 hours.

5. How does the earth's rotation impact life on earth?

The earth's rotation is crucial for maintaining a habitable environment on our planet. It helps regulate weather patterns, creates day and night cycles, and influences the Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation.