Order of rotations: precession, nutation, spin

In summary, the conversation discusses the order of rotations in a gyroscope and whether the problem can be solved by modeling the spin first, and then the axle spin. The speaker comes to the conclusion that the order of rotations does not matter and that a top can be described by three degrees of freedom of rotation. They recommend reading A. Sommerfeld's "Lectures on Theoretical Physics, Vol. 1 (Mechanics)" for a thorough understanding of the spinning top.
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
What is the order of the rotations
Hello

I attach a picture of a problem from a dynamics textbook.

The axle rotates about the axis AB

WHILE (and the "while" here is a significant word to my question) it does that, the disk spins about an axis through C, but perpendicular to the face of the disk.

As the textbooks solve problems like this (and, in this example, despite the title of this post, there is no nutation, but an induced moment -- which is not relevant to this question), they state that the FIRST rotation is the one about AB. Then, AFTER that, we have the spin.

My question is: why that order?

Can one solve the problem by first modeling the body spin, and then, after that, the axle spin?

I can relate this to the subject line, by asking "how do we KNOW that the order of rotations in gyroscope is: precession, nutation, spin?"

-------------------------

Actually, I will answer this myself (I just took the time to think).

If I modeled the spin first, then the LOCAL axis of that body (AB) would no longer be along AB, but it will have spun. Then, it will be a different problem.

OK, I can see that. But I used this problem because the bigger issue for me is the order of rotations in the gyroscope. So, for a gyro, why do we model the rotations in that order (spin of the body being last)?

Attachments

• ROTATIONS.PNG
    ROTATIONS.PNG
    27.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Trying2Learn said:
Can one solve the problem
What problem ?

The problem seems to be the strange idea there was "an order of rotations". A top is most simply seen as a rigid body which is free to rotate around a fixed point (which is not exactly the problem according to the attached figure, which is more restricted, but it's good to understand the simple case first, and it's not simple at all anyway). It's motion is of course a rotation around the point, and it is described by three degrees of freedom. To understand this note that the momentary rotation can be described by a unit vector ##\vec{n}## defining the momentary axis of rotation and the rotation angle around this axis. For the unit vector you need two angles to describe its location relative to the space-fixed coordinate system. So all together you have three degrees of freedom of rotation. There is just this momentary rotation but no "order of rotations".

For a very thorough and as elementary as possible treatment of the spinning top, see

A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, Vol. 1 (Mechanics).

vanhees71 said:
The problem seems to be the strange idea there was "an order of rotations". A top is most simply seen as a rigid body which is free to rotate around a fixed point (which is not exactly the problem according to the attached figure, which is more restricted, but it's good to understand the simple case first, and it's not simple at all anyway). It's motion is of course a rotation around the point, and it is described by three degrees of freedom. To understand this note that the momentary rotation can be described by a unit vector ##\vec{n}## defining the momentary axis of rotation and the rotation angle around this axis. For the unit vector you need two angles to describe its location relative to the space-fixed coordinate system. So all together you have three degrees of freedom of rotation. There is just this momentary rotation but no "order of rotations".

For a very thorough and as elementary as possible treatment of the spinning top, see

A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, Vol. 1 (Mechanics).
Thank you!

1. What is the order of rotations for precession, nutation, and spin?

The order of rotations for precession, nutation, and spin is precession, nutation, and spin. Precession refers to the slow wobbling motion of the Earth's axis, nutation is a small variation in this wobbling motion, and spin is the Earth's daily rotation on its axis.

2. How do precession, nutation, and spin affect the Earth's orientation in space?

Precession, nutation, and spin all contribute to the Earth's orientation in space. Precession causes the Earth's axis to slowly change direction over a period of about 26,000 years, nutation causes small variations in this direction, and spin keeps the Earth rotating on its axis at a constant rate.

3. What causes precession, nutation, and spin?

Precession is caused by the gravitational pull of the Sun and Moon on the Earth's equatorial bulge, nutation is caused by the gravitational pull of the Moon and Sun on the Earth's equatorial bulge, and spin is caused by the Earth's own rotation.

4. How do precession, nutation, and spin affect the Earth's climate?

Precession and nutation can have a small impact on the Earth's climate by changing the amount of sunlight received at different latitudes over a long period of time. Spin, on the other hand, has a more direct impact on the Earth's climate by creating day and night cycles and influencing wind patterns.

5. Are precession, nutation, and spin constant or do they change over time?

Precession and nutation are not constant and can change over time due to factors such as the Earth's changing orbit and the gravitational pull of other planets. Spin, however, remains relatively constant over time and is not affected by external forces.