1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools How good is edinburgh university astrophysics department?

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    hi guys,

i have completed my Masters in physics from India.i have applied for phd in edinburgh university for cosmology?how good is it when compared to their european counterparts?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2
    Depends who you're working with!

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3

Hi mal4mac,

i would like to know about the reputation of edinburgh university among their physics peers?especially astrophysics department?of course i know it depends on guides,but am looking for its reputation for publishing papers and all?

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4
    The University of Edinburgh is considered one of the best in the UK. I don't personally do astrophysics, but my friends who do have applied there for PhD positions. If you're interested in cosmology then I have heard that Durham is a good place (http://www.icc.dur.ac.uk/) and that Cambridge is also very good.

If you want to get an idea of the level of publications then search some databases :/ or look up academic staff individually.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook