How Hard Are the Science and Technology Fields and What Are Their Job Markets?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Line
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hard
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 12K views
I think that in physics, you are deriving your own formulas more, so you only have to remember the basic formulas (and how they are related). I would guess that EE would use more formulas that aren't derived every time so you can choose to remember them, or remember how they are derived.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That brings up another general question. Is derivation a lot like proving a mathematical theorem? I'm rather weak in that area, and better at carrying out operations or applying a given formula. Then again, I haven't had a lot of experience with it.
 
szarkowj said:
That brings up another general question. Is derivation a lot like proving a mathematical theorem? I'm rather weak in that area, and better at carrying out operations or applying a given formula. Then again, I haven't had a lot of experience with it.

Then you definatly want to steer clear of physics! In engineering, we usually derive formulas and then use them, but If you are a plug and chug kind of person, neither is going to be good for you. You have to understand where the formulas came from in engineering as well as physics.
 
Civil Engineering is easy, I mean you know the answer already before you start, Fnet has to equal 0!
 
Well, I won't know until I try, but that isn't reassuring. Thanks.