How hard is a Physics major at a top 35 Uni?

In summary: However, it's a really hard degree to get, so if you're seriously thinking about it, you should do some research first.
Diagon
Hey folks, I am thinking about maybe trying to do a physics major. However, I don't want it to be too hard and lower my already low gpa. How hard is the math and courses like upper division Moldern Physics, Mathematical Physics,Dynamics,Thermal Stat, E&M and QM? Also how hard are the require math like, Lin Algebra, Differential Eqns,Analysis.I am currently a chemistry major and am taking PChem, which is pretty hard. Are those other classes much harder? I like math and am pretty good at it (was on specialize science high school math team and did very well on standardized tests) but ever since I took Calc II with some crazy grad student teaching have been somewhat afraid, as I got a C+ and couldn't understand anything he taught.(I used to get A+/As, 800 SAT I/II and 4/5 APs on all my math classes). However I took 1st year physics for my Chem major and although I didnt do very well (lack of studying), I found the material very interesting. Therefore, I would like to know how difficult a physics major is going to be. The way the grading works in my Physics department is based on a curve, median grade usually B-. I don't want to be in a class with 10-20 kids who are all smarter than me. Also, are the upper level courses as interesting as the freshman year course,or is it just a bunch of crazy technical stuff that is dry. The reason I find physics interesting is because of all the bizarre concepts such as relativity, time travel + implications with philosophy. Finally, I took 2 semesters of General Physics (that's what chem majors/pre meds take)but my school has a 3 semester sequence for physics majors. Is it required to take this sequence because I would not want to do this since I will have to graduate later, as I will already need to graduate in 5 years without having to take this sequence. My future plans are to probably go to grad, law or med school, although I am undecided.

Physics news on Phys.org
If anything, it's the freshman year courses that are boring and dry. However, a Physics major is one of the hardest science degrees to go after. It's very mathematically intensive and pretty damn non-trivial, but you actually feel like you're doing legitimate science and not just reading things from a book.

Be prepared to sacrifice your social life, however. Physics comes first.

Diagon said:
The reason I find physics interesting is because of all the bizarre concepts such as relativity, time travel + implications with philosophy.

Your upper level courses will probably not go into philosophical issues at all, or at best just touch on them lightly. You'll pretty much have to study those things on the side. The emphasis in class is on learning how to do (calculate) things with relativity, E&M, QM, etc. You'll need to be (or become) comfortable with vector calculus (Calc III at most U.S. schools) and differential equations.

Yes. You'll find a lot of physics, even quantum mechanics, is pretty mundane. It's amazing what you can do with it, but it's not the mystical subject people think it is. That's actually math. :)

So if you're going into physics just because you like those bizarre concepts, brace yourself for a surprise when you're in 1st year and calculating how far a ball will travel, 2nd year calculating the efficiency of an engine, 3rd year doing quantum mechanics, but learning about the energy levels of the hydrogen atom and its light spectrum, and 4th year learning about why metals conduct and insulators do not.

There's more to it, but none of it gets into this seemingly magical area of time travel or teleportation. Probably the most bizarre concepts you'll learn will come in a particle physics class. But, even that is fairly mundane by today's standards, since most of this stuff was known some 30 years ago.

So, in conclusion, if you love learning how things (devices, the universe, nature), then you'll love physics. If you don't, then you won't like it.

1. How much math is involved in a Physics major at a top 35 university?

A Physics major at a top 35 university typically involves a significant amount of math, as it is a highly mathematical field. Students can expect to take courses in calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and more.

2. Is a Physics major at a top 35 university more difficult than other majors?

This can vary depending on the individual student's strengths and interests. However, in general, a Physics major at a top 35 university is considered to be a challenging and rigorous program. It requires a strong foundation in math and a high level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Are there any specific prerequisites for a Physics major at a top 35 university?

Most top universities will require students to have taken high-level math and science courses in high school, such as calculus, physics, and chemistry. Some may also require students to have a certain GPA or standardized test scores to be admitted into the program.

4. How much time should I expect to spend on coursework for a Physics major at a top 35 university?

This can vary depending on the individual student's study habits and course load. However, in general, students can expect to spend a significant amount of time on coursework and studying for exams. Physics courses typically involve problem sets, lab work, and reading assignments that require a lot of time and effort.

5. Are there any resources available to help with the difficulty of a Physics major at a top 35 university?

Yes, most universities offer resources such as tutoring, study groups, and office hours with professors to help students with the challenging coursework. It is also important for students to develop good time-management and study skills to succeed in a Physics major at a top 35 university.