How High Can a Tower of Sugar Cubes Be?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
pippintook
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The Babblers have decided to build a tower that would reach the top of Rock Candy Mountain. For brick they used large sugar cubes ( = 1500 kg/m3). The compressive strength (stress) of sugar cubes is 6.0 MPa. How tall of a tower can the Babblers build?


Homework Equations


Stress = F/A = Y(ΔL/L0)A


The Attempt at a Solution


I converted 6MPa to N/m2 for 6,000,000 N/m2, I just don't know how to find L. The A's cancel, leaving me with F = Y(ΔL/L0), right? Is Y = 1500 kg/m^3?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure you're using the right equations... the stress relationship is OK (stress = F/A), but how is this related to the height? Show an equation that can relate the height of tower to some part of the stress equation.

-Kerry