How Does Archimedes' Principle Apply to Forces on a Submerged Cube?

In summary, a cube of edge length L = 0.500 m and mass 480 kg is suspended by a rope in an open tank of liquid of density 1030 kg/m3. The magnitude of the total downward force on the top of the cube is 2.59E4N and the magnitude of the buoyant force on the cube is 1.26E3N. In part B, the magnitude of the total upward force on the bottom of the cube is N. The tension in the rope is N. The relation between these quantities is Fbu = Fbottom + T. This problem involves using Archimedes' principle and Newton's second law to find the net force on the cube.
brett812718

Homework Statement

In the figure below, a cube of edge length L = 0.500 m and mass 480 kg is suspended by a rope in an open tank of liquid of density 1030 kg/m3.
(a) Find Ftop, the magnitude of the total downward force on the top of the cube from the liquid and the atmosphere, assuming atmospheric pressure is 1.00 atm.
correct check mark 2.59E4N

(b) Find Fbottom, the magnitude of the total upward force on the bottom of the cube.
wrong check mark N

(c) Find T, the tension in the rope.
N

(d) Calculate Fbu, the magnitude of the buoyant force on the cube using Archimedes' principle.
correct check mark 1.26E3N
What relation exists among all these quantities? (Select all that apply.)
Fbu = Fbottom + T
Fbu = m - T
Fbu = Ftop - Fbottom
Fbu = Fbottom - Ftop
Fbu = T - m

wrong check mark

hint:Force is equal to the product of the (uniform) pressure and the face area. The gauge pressure at a certain depth h in a fluid is equal to ρgh. The gravitational force and the force from the rope also act on the cube. By Newton's second law, the net force must be zero.
Section 14-7 Archimedes' Principle
hrw7_14-37.gif

Homework Equations

Fb=pVg
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do for part b
at first I thought Fbottom was the same as the buoyancy force but that was wrong.
All I need is a hint on how to start part b and then I should be able to get part c on my own. I have already solved for parts A and D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what caused the force on the top in part A. It is the same type of force on the bottom.

A(Po+pg(3/2)L)=2.71E4N
thanks

would T=Ftop+mg-Fb-Fbottom ?

Can someone help me solve A and B for this problem..?

A(Po+pg(3/2)L)=2.71E4N

what does Po and pg mean in here?
is A = 1.5 in this problem?

Related to How Does Archimedes' Principle Apply to Forces on a Submerged Cube?

What is Archimedes' Principle?

Archimedes' Principle is a scientific law that states that the upward buoyant force on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

How is Archimedes' Principle applied to real-world problems?

Archimedes' Principle is used to calculate the buoyancy of objects in different fluids, such as ships in water or balloons in air. It is also used in designing and constructing objects that need to float or sink in a specific way, such as submarines or life jackets.

What information is needed to solve a problem using Archimedes' Principle?

To solve a problem using Archimedes' Principle, you will need to know the density of the fluid, the density of the object, and the volume of the object that is submerged in the fluid.

How is the buoyant force calculated using Archimedes' Principle?

The buoyant force is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the volume of the object that is submerged in the fluid, and then multiplying that by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

What are some common mistakes when solving problems using Archimedes' Principle?

Some common mistakes when using Archimedes' Principle include forgetting to convert units, not taking into account the entire volume of the object that is submerged, and using incorrect values for the density of the object or fluid. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, and double-check all calculations.