How high is the stone at its highest? Relationships are given

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the height of a rock at its highest point, given its coordinates at a specific time. The solution involves using the quadratic curve equation and finding the midpoint between the two points where the curve meets the t axis to determine the height. Alternatively, the derivative can also be used, but finding the midpoint is a simpler approach.
Mushroom79

Homework Statement

A rock moves so that its coordinates at the time t given by the relationships

x=25t
y=20t-5t^2

How high is the stone at its highest?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the distance the stone flies (horizental ground) by setting y=0, that gave x=100m
If that is correct, how should I proceed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What curve is y with regard to t?

voko said:
What curve is y with regard to t?

A quadratic curve?

Yes it is. You know the two points where it meets the t axis. What can be said about the location of its peak?

voko said:
Yes it is. You know the two points where it meets the t axis. What can be said about the location of its peak?

It's above and between the two points.

So as you know it's exactly midway, you know the value of t to plug into the equation and get the height.

voko said:
So as you know it's exactly midway, you know the value of t to plug into the equation and get the height.

So I take the value of t I got from finding out the flying distance and divide it by 2?

If that is correct I got my answer! Thank you.

Well, you could do it the "proper" way by taking the derivative, equating it to zero, etc.

But since you already know the roots of the equation, you can use the fact that the apex of the parabola is always right in the middle.

I would not consider taking the derivative to be the "proper" way for a problem like this. Rather, complete the square, so you get something like y= h- (x- a)^2. That is h when x= a, h minus something otherwise. That is, y= h is the maximum value of y.

1. How do you measure the height of a stone?

The height of a stone can be measured using various methods, such as a measuring tape, a ruler, or a laser range finder. The most accurate method would be to use a laser range finder, which measures the distance from the base of the stone to its highest point.

2. What is the relationship between the height and weight of a stone?

The relationship between the height and weight of a stone can vary depending on the type of stone and its composition. Generally, larger and taller stones tend to be heavier due to their increased volume and density.

3. How can you determine the height of a stone without physically measuring it?

If you are unable to physically measure the height of a stone, you can estimate its height by using surrounding objects as a reference. For example, you can compare the stone's height to that of a nearby tree or building to get an approximate measurement.

4. Can the height of a stone change over time?

Yes, the height of a stone can change over time due to natural weathering processes or human intervention. For example, erosion can cause a stone to become shorter over time, while adding additional layers of stone can increase its height.

5. What units are typically used to measure the height of a stone?

The height of a stone is usually measured in either inches, feet, or meters, depending on the size and location of the stone. In some cases, it may be measured in other units such as centimeters or yards.