How important are upper-division physics electives for getting into grad school?

In summary, the conversation discusses the trade-off between taking upper division physics electives or math/engineering classes and pursuing a double major in philosophy and physics. The speaker is concerned about the impact on their chances of getting into graduate school, but still plans to fulfill the core physics curriculum and work on an honors thesis. They mention that their interest in both subjects is the main reason for wanting to pursue a double major.
brushman
I'm considering doing a philosophy physics double major at the expense of taking a few upper division physics electives or math/engineering classes like Plasma Physics, Nuclear and Particle Physics, Intro to Solid State Physics, fluid mechanics, statistics, etc.

Will this hurt my chances of getting into graduate school? Of course I will still have fulfilled the core physics curriculum (freshman physics 1-3, Classical Mechanics 1 & 2, E&M 1 & 2, Quantum 1 & 2, Thermo/StatMech, 3 different physics labs, also about to start working an honors thesis).

The reason I want to double major is of course both subjects interest me but I'd also like to be able to apply to philosophy graduate school as well.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The amount that it depends depends entirely on where you want to go, but no matter where you go, your application will be weaker than it would be had you taken the electives.

1. How important are upper-division physics electives for getting into grad school?

Upper-division physics electives are very important for getting into grad school. These courses demonstrate to admissions committees that you have a strong foundation in physics and are capable of handling advanced coursework. They also show your dedication to the field and your ability to excel in challenging courses.

2. Do I need to take specific upper-division physics electives for grad school?

While there are no specific courses that are required for grad school, it is important to take a variety of upper-division physics electives to show your breadth of knowledge in the field. It is also helpful to take courses that align with your research interests and demonstrate your strengths.

3. How many upper-division physics electives should I take for grad school?

This varies depending on the program and your individual goals. Generally, it is recommended to take at least 3-4 upper-division physics electives, but some programs may require more. It is important to have a strong foundation in physics, but also to leave room for other courses that may be relevant to your research interests.

4. Can I take upper-division physics electives at a community college or online?

It is generally recommended to take upper-division physics electives at a four-year university, as these courses may be more rigorous and provide a better preparation for graduate school. However, if necessary, taking these courses at a community college or online may still demonstrate your dedication and ability to handle advanced coursework.

5. Are upper-division physics electives the only important factor for grad school admissions?

No, upper-division physics electives are not the only important factor for grad school admissions. Admissions committees also consider factors such as GPA, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. However, taking and excelling in upper-division physics electives can greatly strengthen your application and demonstrate your passion and potential for success in graduate school.