How important is physics in computer science?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of taking physics courses for computer science majors, as seen in the articulation agreements required for transferring to UC or CSU. It is explained that physics is part of the general technical education and can be useful in various CS career paths, such as those involving electrical engineering or specialized hardware for machine learning.
leewilliam236
I was looking at assist.org. A website for community college students that lists the courses you need to take at a CC in order to transfer to a UC or CSU. I'm a CompSci major, and realized that everyone of the articulation agreements required 3-4 quarters of Physics. I'm just wondering, why is Physics important in Computer Science? Are there any real life examples of how it's applied?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
leewilliam236 said:
I was looking at assist.org. A website for community college students that lists the courses you need to take at a CC in order to transfer to a UC or CSU. I'm a CompSci major, and realized that everyone of the articulation agreements required 3-4 quarters of Physics. I'm just wondering, why is Physics important in Computer Science? Are there any real life examples of how it's applied?
At my undergrad university (UC Davis), all Engineering majors were required to take at least 3 intro physics courses (calculus-based, technical track). It's part of your general technical education, As for when you may find practical application of the courses in your CS education and work, that just depends on what kind of CS work you end up doing. Even if you just end up coding video games, you will probably benefit from a basic knowledge about physics.

Likes Crass_Oscillator
leewilliam236 said:
Some CS majors head for career tracks that require more electrical engineering, whether in graduate school or industry, and you need at least basic physics to grasp circuits, among other things.

Subfields in graduate school include computational biology, robotics, and even some machine learning if you are collaborating with electrical engineers working on, say, specialized hardware for neural networks.

Likes berkeman

1. How is physics related to computer science?

Physics and computer science are closely related because many of the fundamental principles and laws in physics, such as motion, electricity, and thermodynamics, are used to design and understand the functioning of computer hardware and software. For example, concepts in physics such as circuits, logic gates, and algorithms are used in the development of computer processors and programming languages.

2. Is physics necessary for computer science?

While it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of physics to study computer science, having a basic understanding of physics can greatly enhance one's understanding of how computers work and how to solve complex problems. Many computer science courses also include topics in physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum computing, to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the field.

3. How does physics contribute to advancements in computer science?

Physics plays a crucial role in the advancements of computer science. Researchers in both fields work together to develop new technologies and applications, such as quantum computers and artificial intelligence, that rely on principles of physics. Additionally, physics provides the mathematical and theoretical foundations for many algorithms and computational models used in computer science.

4. Can computer science be used to study physics?

Yes, computer science can be used to study and analyze complex physical systems. Computational physics, a branch of physics that uses computer simulations and modeling to study natural phenomena, relies heavily on computer science principles and techniques. Computer models can also be used to test and validate theories in physics, saving time and resources compared to traditional experimental methods.

5. How does physics help with problem-solving in computer science?

Physics provides a systematic and logical approach to problem-solving, which is essential in computer science. The scientific method, used in physics to formulate and test hypotheses, can also be applied to computer science problems. Additionally, understanding the physical principles behind a problem can help in creating efficient and effective solutions in computer science.