1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Major in Physics with computer science minor? Grad schools?

1. Feb 8, 2015 #1
    Hi there,
    I'm very interested in physics and want to major in it and minor in computer science and then get my masters. However, I think that a job in software engineering (something like developing software for physical science (physics, astronomy, meteorology, geology, etc.) or scientific computing is what most appeals to me. I'm also interested in computer science of course, but my interest in physics is higher and I feel a B.S. in it gives me more graduate school possibilities outside of CS (like getting into other physical sciences).

Looking at grad programs for scientific computing, it seems that I'd have a good combination. But I'm wondering if I could be able to easily get into a grad program in CS or software engineering with my major in physics/ minor in CS? Would this still get me where I want?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2015 #2
    Plenty of people do huge shifts in topic from undergrad to graduate school. Just make sure you keep up your grades and gain research experience to be competitive

4. Feb 8, 2015 #3
    Yes, I had a classmate go to Carnegie Mellon for CS grad school after a physics major/CS minor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook