Physics with computer science versus Physics.

In summary, having a double major in physics and computer science can provide more job opportunities than a pure physics degree. If a double major is not possible, taking enough computer science courses and doing projects in connection with physics can still make it visible on an academic record. The speaker also shares their personal experience of liking programming and how it influenced their career path.
HermitOfThebes
I am definitely interested in physics, I love it and I love doing it, but I am afraid a PhD in physics might not be enough for me to a land a decent job, by decent I mean enjoyable for me. I am very fond of programming, I know computer science is not just programming but I love programming and I love problem solving so I thought maybe if I do physics and computer physics, I would more easily get a job in networking/security/tech design, would this be correct? is a physics with computer science degree more valuable than a pure physics degree when it comes to employment in the computer world? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Having a double major in physics and CS would probably give you more options than a plain physics major, if you can fit in all the courses for both. If you can't manage a double major, you can still take enough CS courses to make it strongly visible on your academic record, and do projects in connection with physics, or on your own.

I like programming a lot, too, but my undergraduate college didn't have a CS major 40 years ago, just a couple of courses in Fortran programming. I did a lot of programming on my own (both in Fortran and in assembly language on two different kinds of computers), and did my Ph.D. in experimental particle physics where I spent all my time programming. I ended up getting a teaching-oriented position at a small college where I taught both physics and intro CS courses for many years. If I hadn't gotten a teaching job, I probably would have become a programmer.

Related to Physics with computer science versus Physics.

1. What is the difference between Physics with computer science and Physics?

Physics with computer science is an interdisciplinary field that combines the principles of physics with the methods and tools of computer science to solve complex problems. On the other hand, physics is a natural science that studies the fundamental laws and principles governing the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. Which field has better career prospects, Physics with computer science or Physics?

Both fields have excellent career prospects, but they differ in the types of jobs available. Physics with computer science graduates can work in a wide range of industries, including technology, research, and finance, while physics graduates typically work in research, academia, or engineering.

3. Can I major in both Physics and computer science?

Yes, you can major in both fields, but it may take longer to complete your degree. Many universities offer joint or dual degree programs in Physics and computer science, which allow students to pursue both majors simultaneously.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying Physics with computer science?

It depends on the university and program. Some programs may require students to have a strong background in mathematics and computer science, while others may have more flexible requirements. It is best to check with the specific program you are interested in to determine the prerequisites.

5. What skills do I need to succeed in Physics with computer science?

To succeed in this field, you will need a strong foundation in both physics and computer science. You should also have good problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to work with data and programming languages. Additionally, having strong communication and teamwork skills can also be beneficial in this interdisciplinary field.