Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How infinite does time get by gamma

1. Mar 6, 2008 #1
    How infinite does time get by gamma....

So I was thinking, say you have a photon traveling at c. I would assume that the photon's own time frame would have time passing as normal. Now after a time t has passed in the photon's frame, some infinite amount of time would have passed say, on earth by the time dilation equations, but that seemed a bit strange, from the light's point of view anyways, what would it "see" after a second or whatever in its own time? The universe come and gone? >.<

Then I thought about assigning different alephs to the set of time intervals traversed, but meh I'm now more confused that before. Help plz! ;-)
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi zZhang! :smile:

A photon could measure time and distance using its own wavelength as a "measuring-rod", I suppose.

So a photon can only really compare its own measurements with another photon's.

Comparing its own measurements with those of a slower-than-light observer doesn't make any more sense than trying to project something onto a screen when the angle of the screen to you is 0º - the ratios become infinite!
  4. Mar 6, 2008 #3
    Yea that was the thing, that it didn't make any sense. Is there just no sense of time in the photon's frame?
  5. Mar 6, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be a photon!

Well, as I said, the photon could measure time by using its wavelength - it should certainly be able to compare the lengths of different objects that way, and also to compare the wavelengths of other photons! :smile:

But unless you're thinking of becoming a photon yourself … :confused:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?