1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is calculus 1 over the summer?

1. Oct 24, 2015 #1
    How is calc 1 over the summer? How should I prepare myself? I don't care what grade I get, as long I get a C or B. Any suggestions? Are there helpful websites that cane help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I would not recommend calculus 1 over the summer unless you already know the material.

4. Oct 25, 2015 #3
    My parents are wanting me to take it over the summer tho. I can do it, I just need to know what helpful website are there

5. Oct 25, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you care about understanding the material, then taking it over the summer is a horrible idea. If you do want to take it over the summer, start self-studying it now and make sure you know calculus 1 by the summer.

6. Oct 25, 2015 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

BAD, BAD, BAD!

7. Oct 25, 2015 #6
    I took high school calculus over a summer semester - 8 weeks - and it was bad news. Had I not self studied calculus for a solid year I wouldn't have been prepared for university. My classmates were often lost and hardly had time to get an understanding before we moved on. Then there were a few whose algebra was weak and they hadn't enough time to remedy that - they were lost in the dust.
    This was only highschool upgrading mind you, not university level calculus.
    If you really wish to gain from your class, I would recommend not to take any math or physics courses over the summer.

8. Oct 25, 2015 #7
    I would also suggest to get your hands on a textbook and work through, rather than relying on video lectures. But if that's what floats your boat, the MIT videos are okay. They also have problem sets I believe.

9. Oct 25, 2015 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Are you an adult?

How could you possibly know that? More importantly, the question is not whether you can cross the finish line with a passing grade. The question is whether you are building a good foundation for your next classes.

This is the same advice you got the last time you asked the question. If nothing has changed in the last few weeks, why would you expect the answer to be different?

10. Oct 25, 2015 #9
    Why calculus 1 over the summer bad? Is there something wrong with it? I really need to take it because, my dads university will only pay until I am 24. If I wait until fall to take calculus, that will set be back TWO more semesters.

I'm in a community college, and if I want to transfer I need to do it by fall 2017. I should be applying by fall 2016. Since Penn State has rolling admissions :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  11. Oct 25, 2015 #10
    some professors and I have noticed that I do much better with one subject. So I don't think taking ONLY calculus will give me a lot of problems.

12. Oct 25, 2015 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why did you ask if you got your mind made up already?

13. Oct 25, 2015 #12
    I just wanted suggestions.

14. Oct 25, 2015 #13
    Our suggestion is that it is generally a bad idea. Particularly if you want to gain from the course and move into calculus II.

15. Oct 25, 2015 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you really really want to make the course, then self-study it and make sure you understand everything before taking the course. That is in my opinion the only way to pass this course comfortably and be prepared for the new material that will follow later.
    If you want suggestions, then just buy the calculus book that you will be using and work through it carefully.

16. Oct 25, 2015 #15
    Since summer session starts toward the end of May, and finals for spring 2016 end on May 12, I will have plenty of time to watch some videos of calculus. Will coursera be a good website to start right after I finish with my finals?
    https://www.coursera.org/learn/calculus1

17. Oct 25, 2015 #16

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sounds like you want validation for a decision you already made.

18. Oct 25, 2015 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, it will not. Videos and online courses will not help you much. You need to get an actual book on the topic and work through it carefully.

19. Oct 25, 2015 #18
    i actually have some old calculus textbook. Should I start from there? Do I need some precalc background before I can read some of the topics?

20. Oct 25, 2015 #19

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, start with those. It is not strictly necessary to know a lot of precalculus, most of it should be covered adequately by the calculus textbook anyway.
    It is crucial to be solid in algebra, trigonometry and geometry though.

21. Oct 25, 2015 #20
    Where should I start from? What chapter? Limits? Derivatives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook