1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is charge/mass ratio derived in this example?

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    How is charge/mass ratio derived in this example?!?!

Hello, I know there are many ways to derive an expression for "q/m", but I am having some troubles with this one. We are given:

(1/2)mv^2 = qV (mass, velocity, charge, voltage)

qvB = (mv^2) / r (charge, velocity, mag field, mass, velocity, radius of arc)

r = (mv) / (qB) (radius, mass, velocity, charge, mag field)

given these equations, we are supposed to come up with:

q/m = (2V) / (B^2 x r^2) (chargemass = 2Voltage / (mag field)^2 times (radius)^2)

Its probably a very simple step, I just don't see it. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2
    Re: How is charge/mass ratio derived in this example?!?!

You have 2 eqns. and 6 quantities (mass, charge, velocity, voltage, radius and mag. field), but charge and mass in both of the eqns. occur as a combination x = q/m. In terms of this ratio, your eqns. read:
    (1/2) v2 = x V

x B = v/r

You can use 2 eqns. to eliminate 2 out of 5 unknowns. You do not know x! Also, your final result does not contain velocity v. So, I would suggest you solve the 2nd eqn. for v, substitute that in the 1st eqn. and then solve it for x = q/m. Your answer should depend on r, B and V.

Edit:
    Whenever you use 2nd Newton's Law (2nd eqn.) or the work-energy theorem (1St) and the only forces are electromagnetic (proportional to the charge q of the particle), you are guaranteed that charge and mass enter as a combination q/m. This is because each of this equations is of the form l.h.s. = r.h.s. and l.h.s. is proportional to m (the m*a in Newton's Law or (1/2)m*v2 for the kinetic energy in the work-energy theorem), while r.h.s. is proportional to q (for an electromagnetic force, or the work done by the electric field).

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    Re: How is charge/mass ratio derived in this example?!?!

just put the value of velocity from second eqn. into first eqn.(from radius to kinetic energy)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook