How is dθ/dt related to v/r in circular motion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter emyt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Relationship
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 22K views
emyt
Messages
217
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

just a conceptual thing I don't quite understand..
how come dtheta/dt = v/r? I thought it was basically the same thing as v = r/t, but with radians..
thanks

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org


ω=dθ/dt

now θ is the angle of an arc of a circle of radius r and arc length l.

so θ=l/r

So ω=d/dt(l/r)

r doesn't change so
rω=dl/dt

and dl/dt=v

so rω=v
 


rock.freak667 said:
ω=dθ/dt

now θ is the angle of an arc of a circle of radius r and arc length l.

so θ=l/r

So ω=d/dt(l/r)

r doesn't change so
rω=dl/dt

and dl/dt=v

so rω=v

Hi, thanks a lot for the reply. Do we say θ=l/r because the arc length might not be in radians?

thanks
 


emyt said:
Hi, thanks a lot for the reply. Do we say θ=l/r because the arc length might not be in radians?

thanks

Are length is defined as l=rθ when θ is in radians.
 


rock.freak667 said:
Are length is defined as l=rθ when θ is in radians.

EDIT: oh never mind, I've got it.. I've somehow forgotten that a radius could be more than 1 unit :P thanks!