1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is dx(t)/dt system non-causal

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    Hello

Can someone please explain me how is system

y(t)=dx(t)/dt non-causal and system with memory? I tried it using derivation definition, but I did not understand it.

Also I'm interested in integral of x(T)dT (from -inf to to) - is it always causal and how? Do you have any literature or links where it is well explained.

Thank you in advance

EDIT:

I found this:
    ogkt8n.png

and this:
    6hht0y.jpg

How can I know from this definition of derivative that it is not causal? And on those two pictures, dx(t)/dt definition is different, so what's correct? I have before seen second one, but never the first one.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2
    the definitions are equivalent at the limit δt → 0. both expressions give the change in x(t) when you vary t by Δt, devided by Δt. one of them considers a posative Δt from the point of interest, while the other is negative.

unfortunately i dont know what memoryless or casual means

4. Mar 28, 2012 #3
    A system is memoryless if the output at each time depends only on the input
    at the same time.

A system is causal if the output at each time depends only on the input at
    the same time or on the prior inputs.

5. Mar 28, 2012 #4
    ok, well in that case its a bit more complicated.
    the internet seems to suggest a system is causal if y(t) depends on x(t), dx/dt, x(t-T) for T>0
    ie, things in the past and present only.

... which explains why the first dx/dt definition you post lists it as non causal, since x(t+δt) is in the future. but that now highlights a difference between the definitions.

that info came from "personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/martin.brown/signals/Lecture17.ppt" [Broken] (its a presentation *.ppt)

another reference gives
    http://perso.univ-rennes1.fr/ian.sims/pdfs/L3%20SSP%2010-11%20Model%20Exam%20Solution%20Guide.pdf
    thats a french university

two conflicting answers, can anyone shed light on this?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Mar 28, 2012 #5
    i found it too, but it did not explain it well...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook