Been decades, but I remember reading a library book on how to make your own micro-light lifters using high voltages to give 'ion streaming' at multiple points. Even crinkle-cut edges of kitchen foil. Beyond a few seconds free-flight before the sheet discharged its capacitance, arranging a light-weight charging tether to make an electric 'kite' was non-trivial.
Sorry, cannot remember title or author.
He was very, very clear, however, that this tech was 'fun stuff', relied on the atmosphere as 'fuel' and was not scalable to significant payloads. And certainly not applicable to 'serious' propulsion. If you increased voltage or power-density, you approached scary van de Graff and grid arc-over country. Don't go there...
FWIW, if any-one can identify this book, I'd be grateful. I've an abiding interest in fun electrostatics. Even if it is long, long out of print, being able to quote the book's reference would be so cool...